• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You stroppy football lot

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You stroppy football lot

Earlier this week I was watching a rerun of Michael Palin's "Ripping Yarns" where a women has to hide all the breakables before her husband comes home from yet another football match where his awful home team loses. Thought it was just comedic invention until a BBC TV news item tonight about the increased threat of domestic violence during the World Cup. Can't find a link to that but an article from last year is here:

World Cup football is a risk factor for domestic violence | Lancaster University

So come on you footy fans. Who punches the wife, kicks the cat and smashes the place up when England lose?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

It's only a game
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It's only a game
      Which one, punching the wife, kicking the cat or smashing the place up?
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Which one, punching the wife, kicking the cat or smashing the place up?
        We haven't got a cat.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I sometimes lose my temper when I bang my head on things. I learnt my lesson (not to hit things in anger) many years ago when I punched a kitchen cupboard and the whole thing fell off the wall.
          Last edited by doodab; 2 June 2014, 18:15.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Earlier this week I was watching a rerun of Michael Palin's "Ripping Yarns" where a women has to hide all the breakables before her husband comes home from yet another football match where his awful home team loses. Thought it was just comedic invention until a BBC TV news item tonight about the increased threat of domestic violence during the World Cup. Can't find a link to that but an article from last year is here:

World Cup football is a risk factor for domestic violence | Lancaster University

So come on you footy fans. Who punches the wife, kicks the cat and smashes the place up when England lose?
            I think expectations are so low that when we inevitably go out with a whimper there will just be a collective sigh of relief that it's all over for another 4 years.

By the way, I loved Ripping Yarns - I always remember the one about the boarding school and they sent the college puma after MP when he played truant.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              We haven't got a cat .... anymore
              FTFY
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Barstoneworth, Barnstoneworth!!!!!

Comment

8 bloody 1!!!!!!

(I stayed in Barnstoneworth last year for my previous contract.)
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I learnt my lesson (not to hit things in anger) many years ago when I punched a kitchen cupboard and the whole thing fell off the wall
                    I once slammed a door with an expensive safety glass panel and the whole thing exploded. Not over football though, something about the wife wanting the car when I needed it.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X