• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here we go again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go again

Of course the Express is a bit prone to exaggeration (expected 100 mile an hour winds that turn out to an odd gust of 70 on the coast etc) but is there summit in this news?

Computer viruses GOZeuS and CryptoLocker set to attack | UK | News | Daily Express
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Of course the Express is a bit prone to exaggeration (expected 100 mile an hour winds that turn out to an odd gust of 70 on the coast etc) but is there summit in this news?

Computer viruses GOZeuS and CryptoLocker set to attack | UK | News | Daily Express
    The Grauniad has it too so it must be true!

Comment

In a world where malware could travel from continent to continent at the speed of light, what is this crap about a "2 week window to protect ourselves"?? I might have to buy one of Suity's anti-radiation hats made of tin foil

What did make me laugh out loud though was that I first saw this story on Sky News in the gym so only had access to the subtitles which warned me to update my Ant Virus software (c: Hymonopteric bastards!

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
        In a world where malware could travel from continent to continent at the speed of light, what is this crap about a "2 week window to protect ourselves"?? I might have to buy one of Suity's anti-radiation hats made of tin foil

What did make me laugh out loud though was that I first saw this story on Sky News in the gym so only had access to the subtitles which warned me to update my Ant Virus software (c: Hymonopteric bastards!
        It's the females you have to watch out for:

Females typically have a special ovipositor for inserting eggs into hosts or otherwise inaccessible places.

Comment

BBC News have also promulgated this: BBC News - Russian Evgeniy Bogachev sought over cybercrime botnet

But given the unutterably ludicrous way they've tried to spin Apple's WWDC keynote into an "Apple is dying despite being the most profitable business in its own sectors and quite a few others" story, I'm beginning to doubt the worth of their technology coverage

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Of course the Express is a bit prone to exaggeration (expected 100 mile an hour winds that turn out to an odd gust of 70 on the coast etc)

What was that story about the young guy on his first day as a journalist ?

The editor told him to get a story for the front page. So he walked about for an hour then came back and stared at the screen blankly for an hour.
            The ed sees that he is struggling so he calls him over to the window. 'See those clouds over there, there's your headline 'Town in mortal danger as terror storm approaches, hundred may die''

'now go and write the story'

'But boss, what about tomorrow? when nothing happens'

easy - 'Town spared from terrible tragedy. read more inside'
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The back story on this is that UK and other law enforcement agencies have successfully shut down most of the C&C servers that operate those particular botnets/malware systems.

However it's not permanent take down and they estimate there is a window of about 2 weeks in which individuals and organisations have an opportunity to get their software and virus/malware protection up to date and clean up their systems before the owners of the C&C servers get new ones up and running and are back in business.

So, technically yes, there is a threat that we will see increased activity from these particular sources but only because activity has dropped of dramatically in the previous 2 weeks.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Somebody (unlike me) actually read the article properly!

"Threat Back to Normal in Two Weeks" does not sound half as much fun.
                bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Slow news day?

"Crimes we know nothing about are going up as well."

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

According to the Daily Mail today you are safe if your keyboard is in Russian. I just visited Wikipedia, printed off Russian characters and stuck them to my keys, so I'll be ok.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X