• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear - Tories spend their time dreaming up new taxes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear - Tories spend their time dreaming up new taxes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5300880.stm

Tories pledge new 'green' taxes

More money would be raised from "green" taxes under a Conservative government, says shadow chancellor George Osborne.

Mr Osborne, who has seen low-polluting magnetic trains on a visit to Japan, says he is "completely open minded" on what sort of taxes he might introduce.

But he told The Financial Times: "I am clear the proportion of tax revenues drawn from environmental taxes needs to increase."

WTF? Is this the opposition "Vote Conservative - We have better taxes than Labour"

All you can hope is that the Tories willl revert to low tax, low regulation when they get in - in the same way that the current lot reverted to "tax & spend". Frankly I'm not convinced. There's no-one to vote for at the moment IMHO.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Oh great ! as if we havent enough taxes already !

Comment

I fear the re-introduction of the 3-day week and the collapse of the contract market if the T*ries get back in.

Tony is on his way out and I really can't see Scotty Brown taking over the reins. I reckon we'll see Red Ken in No. 10 (ooh, that rhymes...must be a sign) before the end of next year...
        Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Havent we got any english people capable of doing the job ?

England is better off when all the MP's are away on freeby holidays !

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
            Havent we got any english people capable of doing the job ?

England is better off when all the MP's are away on freeby holidays !
            A more fundamental question is, "Have we got any English people?" Full stop!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster
              I fear the re-introduction of the 3-day week...
              I fear loads of things too: eaten by sharks, plane I'm flying in being blown up, Earth being hit by a lump of stuff from outer space. All of them are far more likely.

... and the collapse of the contract market if the T*ries get back in.
              Why is this any worse than a collapse under Labour like in the first part of this decade?
              Blair, you cannot reach me now,
              No matter how you try,
              Goodbye cruel Labour,
              Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

Originally posted by CaribbeanPirate
                I fear loads of things too: eaten by sharks, plane I'm flying in being blown up, Earth being hit by a lump of stuff from outer space. All of them are far more likely.

Why is this any worse than a collapse under Labour like in the first part of this decade?
                If it wasn't for Labour, we wouldn't have had the millenium bug to fix, surely? Contractors never had it so good for that period just after they got into power. Sure, IR35 was a bummer (I went back to being a permie just before it came in), but back in the real world now...and outside IR35. A bit of a slow period at the back end of the 90's, but we're riding high again now. No fault or Labour...that's just market forces and World economy at play.

Let's face it, Labour has it's bad points, as do the Tories (and possibly the Lib Dems, but I hope to God we'll not be around to see that day). So long as I've got my Philipinno wife, my Porsche and my country cottage, I fail to see a problem.

Comment

If it wasn't for Labour, we wouldn't have had the millenium bug to fix, surely?
                  Were you one of Tony Bliar's 20,000 'Bug Busters'?

BBC (1998) : IT army to prevent 'digital doomsday'
                  Blair, you cannot reach me now,
                  No matter how you try,
                  Goodbye cruel Labour,
                  Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

CP where do you reside ?

Comment

Working...
                    X