• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WWDC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWDC

Anyone pay much attention to it? Where are all the fellow Fanbois.

Surprised there was no hardware announcement, iPhone 6 would have been a stretch after only 8 months, but no new hardware at all?! iOS8 seems to be on a health kick so thought wearable tech (iWatch) would be launched.

OSX 10.10 (doesn't that make it 10,10,10) seems to be more of a service pack than a new release which is why its being given away free, new look and feel and a few useful additions (iMessage sync for "normal" SMS is a biggie for me as I am used to sending text messages from my laptop), not sure iCloud will take me away from DropBox as its so ingrained in my day to day process, but it will be nice to get an upgrade from the stock 5gb to 20gb for say a fiver a year as my iPhone and iPad cloud backups fill 5gb quite quickly
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Anyone pay much attention to it? Where are all the fellow Fanbois.

Surprised there was no hardware announcement, iPhone 6 would have been a stretch after only 8 months, but no new hardware at all?! iOS8 seems to be on a health kick so thought wearable tech (iWatch) would be launched.

OSX 10.10 (doesn't that make it 10,10,10) seems to be more of a service pack than a new release which is why its being given away free, new look and feel and a few useful additions (iMessage sync for "normal" SMS is a biggie for me as I am used to sending text messages from my laptop), not sure iCloud will take me away from DropBox as its so ingrained in my day to day process, but it will be nice to get an upgrade from the stock 5gb to 20gb for say a fiver a year as my iPhone and iPad cloud backups fill 5gb quite quickly
    Hardware announcements are coming in September apparently, ready for the Christmas rush.

iCloud could be good if it's integrated into the OS so you can open/save directly to it through right-click or from app menus.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Its a developer's conference with big developer announcements.

And to demonstrate how much hello world has changed over the years someone has already created flappy birds in swift....

https://github.com/fullstackio/FlappySwift

It looks like a nice language I however prefer websites to programs...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

As an iOS developer, my head is currently exploding somewhat. Tons of new APIs and a whole new programming language to learn too.

I'm still catching up on the platforms state of the union video.

BTW, if you somehow find a way of getting access to the iOS8 beta - please don't install it. I have it on my iPad and its *very* beta. Its not going anywhere near my phone.

The multi-device connectivity looks very cool; basically turning your iPhone into a relay for your Mac/iPad and being able to use them to make and receive calls and SMS.

OSX 10.10 is a lot more than a "service pack" but OSX releases are always going to be smaller since Apple committed to annual free releases starting from last year's Mavericks release.
        Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 3 June 2014, 09:38.

Comment

Since they're buying Beats was there any mention of a Lil Wayne or Lady GaGa designed/endorsed iPhone?

Anyone know why they're buying a brand that gives the fanboi-baiters a valid argument?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Since they're buying Beats was there any mention of a Lil Wayne or Lady GaGa designed/endorsed iPhone?

Anyone know why they're buying a brand that gives the fanboi-baiters a valid argument?
            1) the music industry is moving from purchases towards a subscription service. And outside of Spotify supposedly the best subscription service is beats....

2) its the only brand that has margins that make Apple's look reasonable.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Cos they know that you is fanbois, innit
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                As an iOS developer, my head is currently exploding somewhat. Tons of new APIs and a whole new programming language to learn too.

I'm still catching up on the platforms state of the union video.

BTW, if you somehow find a way of getting access to the iOS8 beta - please don't install it. I have it on my iPad and its *very* beta. Its not going anywhere near my phone.

The multi-device connectivity looks very cool; basically turning your iPhone into a relay for your Mac/iPad and being able to use them to make and receive calls and SMS.

OSX 10.10 is a lot more than a "service pack" but OSX releases are always going to be smaller since Apple committed to annual free releases starting from last year's Mavericks release.
                It all sounds horribly complicated. You could spend every waking hour trying to keep up with that lot.

So glad I've resolutely turned my back on Apple and all things i-ish

If only I could do the same with Windows and Unix.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I think I'd wait to see if anyone is interested in the new language before bothering to learn it.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It's 2014 and Apple still have not brought out +4 inch screen. That's why I moved to Google Nexus 5 and love it. I had an Android phone 3-4 years ago and it wasn't as polished as IOS, but now it's better by far. Was able to buy 2 Nexus 5's outright and move to SIM only contract for the price of a iPhone.

Comment

Working...
                    X