• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Queen's Speech 2014: National Insurance Bill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queen's Speech 2014: National Insurance Bill

"In respect of national insurance contributions, legislation will be brought forward to tackle avoidance and to simplify their collection from the self-employed."

Not sure I like the sound of that...

I suspect we should get used to hearing more of it.

Avoidance really is the buzzword ain't it! No reason as far as I can see that our new tickling stick 'APN' can't be deployed in similar fashion.

Comment

I think this is just the stuff in the Finance Bill (carried over from the last session) surrounding false self-employment, nothing new.

Comment

Originally posted by matzie View Post
        "In respect of national insurance contributions, legislation will be brought forward to tackle avoidance and to simplify their collection from the self-employed."

Not sure I like the sound of that...
        Are you self-employed?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Are you self-employed?
          From an employment law perspective he probably is. I don't know which perspective HMRC would choose to use when they come looking for more cash.

Comment

It's here

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...peech-2014.pdf

Please refer to Page 20 - 22

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              From an employment law perspective he probably is. I don't know which perspective HMRC would choose to use when they come looking for more cash.
              From a national insurance perspective, there is a BIG difference between being self employed and working for a company that you own.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sure, I'm an employee of MyCo so not self-employed in that sense. But I'd be very surprised if whatever this turns out to mean only applies to schedule-d-style self-employed persons...

Comment

This more than likely refers to both the new self-employment anti-abuse rules targeted at agencies and the move to being able to pay your Class 2 NIC each year through your SA rather than via monthly direct debit.

Comment

Don't forget they snuck in the enabling legislation for IR35 hidden inside the welfare reform bill....never judge a book....

Comment

Working...
                    X