• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motor boating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor boating

I'm on holiday, lots of boats and nice weather. So.......

I want to get into boating - I don't know anything about em but want to get into them. Anyone into boating and how did you start? Suggestions for first steps?

No jokes about motor boating please, unless they are funny and relevant.

Start here

RYA Training | Courses & Training | RYA

Did my powerboat level 1 & 2 on a reservoir in Manchester. Shouldn't be allowed a boat without some sort of training. Oh, don't forget to attach the KS to you. BBC News - Cornwall speedboat crash victim 'doted on family'

Depends what floats your boat, fast, slow, narrow, cruising...
    Last edited by anonymouse; 7 June 2014, 19:16.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
      RYA Training | Courses & Training | RYA

Did my powerboat level 1 & 2 on a reservoir in Manchester. Shouldn't be allowed a boat without some sort of training. Oh, don't forget to attach the KS to you. BBC News - Cornwall speedboat crash victim 'doted on family'

Depends what floats your boat, fast, slow, narrow, cruising...
      Thanks, I'm based in Manchester. Did you have boat before doing the powerboat level 1 & 2? What boat did you go for?

I guess I'm looking for a cruiser that I can sleep in and do a bit of exploring (hope that doesn't sound too naïve). I'm just looking at forums now and people suggesting a cuddy as a first boat? From what I understand they don't have a full cabin.

Comment

Brother in law had a powerboat (think it was 15-20ft with a 40hp Mercury outboard) just for days out in the North West with the kids. We got trained on a two day course both together
        Powerboating | Debdale Outdoor Centre | Manchester City Council

Teaches you the basics about boat handling, safety, etc, not just about power boats. Good fun.

Sounds like you want a cabin cruiser (£2800), or narrow boat (£65,000)

Norman 23 cabin / canal cruiser boat OFFERS | Little Hulton | Gumtree
        Boats for sale Manchester UK, used boats, new boat sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck

Comment

I'm Power Boat 1, 2 and Safety Boat qualified, all taught by my sailing club. These courses are mainly aimed at RIB driving, but PB2 gives you an understanding of rules of the road.

If you are wanting something bigger - motor cruiser etc you may want to look at the 2 day RYA helmsman course.

Helmsman | Motor Cruising | Courses | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA - find a training centre near you and give it a go.

Comment

I've always had pipe dreams about having a boat.

These flights of fancy, however, are always snuffed out by that great aphorism which goes:

"The day I bought that boat was the second best day of my life. The best was the day I sold it"

Comment

I went to Gibraltar and did a couple of courses RYA Tidal up to Day Skipper.

Don't go and buy a power boat without at least trying the sails. For me, it is far more fun and satisfying.

Trafalgar Sailing

Comment

By "motor boat" you haven't said what size of boat you are interested in.
                But on the smaller size I'd say you cannot go wrong with the following Yam inflatable:

I have one, with a 15hp outboard motor, which I bought second hand for around £2000 8 years ago.
                They are awesome little things, with the chief advantage being that you can deflate them and fold them up into the back of an average car.
                Which gives you a lot of flexibility regarding location - you can literally turn up at a place with water anywhere, assemble the boat (takes 30 minutes) and off you go. No need for a launch ramp because the component parts individually are light enough to pick up and carry.

With this boat I've crossed the solent to the isle of wight several times, the kennet & Avon Canal through Reading town centre, and the Thames through central London waving at the tourists

The only downside is you are likely to get damp, if not wet. But that's only a problem if you're a pussy, right?

Edit: Forgot to say that the top speed is 18mph. Which is ample
                Last edited by KentPhilip; 8 June 2014, 09:08.

Comment

Thanks all for the excellent advice and in general to.

Comment

The two happiest days of your life.

The day you buy your boat.

The day you sell your boat.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Working...
                    X