• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Smartphone time...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Smartphone time...

I've had my Blackbery 9300 for a number of years now, and have decided it's time to get a touchscreen thingly.

I'm currently toying with the idea of an S4 or S5. Now I know the S5 is newer model, but the upfront cost/ monthly premium over an S4 does seem rather steep.

I'm currently with T-Mobile. The deal on the table is: Free S4 (£6.00 p&p), Unlimited voice/ text, 10Gb data (4G where available) for £29.99 pcm.

Is this as good as it gets? How much more should I pay for an S5 with the equivalent service?

And, yes, I do know this is General...

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    I've had my Blackbery 9300 for a number of years now, and have decided it's time to get a touchscreen thingly.

I'm currently toying with the idea of an S4 or S5. Now I know the S5 is newer model, but the upfront cost/ monthly premium over an S4 does seem rather steep.

I'm currently with T-Mobile. The deal on the table is: Free S4 (£6.00 p&p), Unlimited voice/ text, 10Gb data (4G where available) for £29.99 pcm.

Is this as good as it gets? How much more should I pay for an S5 with the equivalent service?

How much does a sim only equivalent contract cost? From that you can work out how much you are paying for the phone...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post

I'm paying a bit less (couple of quid I think, will have to check) for the same and I didn't pay for postage

I believe the S5 is the only just released one where the S4 has been out some months, I've damn all idea what their relative merits are mind you

Comment

Phones aren't progressing much now. Bought Nexus 5 from Google and downgraded the business mobile to s SIM only contract. Get one of the residential deals and it is cheap as chips. I am office based and use Skype more than phone so did not make sense for me to have the £360 a year contract. Over £100 better off a year through doing that. Not a huge amount I know but better in my pocket than theirs

Comment

I bought the Moto G from Tesco for £100 when it came out. There's nothing the more expensive phones offer that would make me want to spend the money on them. A new model is coming out, Motorola Moto G 4G LTE | Release date, price and specs - PC Advisor

Comment

The Moto G is a fantastic phone and really cheap the 4G version is due out soon if not already, other than that the Nexus 5 is a very good buy and is stock android so you get updates as soon as they're available. I myself have a Nexus 4 and it does everything I need it to and is even decent for games, I personally wouldn't lock myself into a contract or pay more than 200 quid for a phone these days.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
              Phones aren't progressing much now. Bought Nexus 5 from Google and downgraded the business mobile to s SIM only contract. Get one of the residential deals and it is cheap as chips. I am office based and use Skype more than phone so did not make sense for me to have the £360 a year contract. Over £100 better off a year through doing that. Not a huge amount I know but better in my pocket than theirs
              Ditto

Nexus 5 and GiffGaff £12pm
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Any recommendations for an Android with good battery life?
                I've got the S3 which drinks battery too quickly. I make like one call per day, and browse web for about 1 hr in total. Also have all of the sync settings disabled.
                I just want to have at least some battery left when I plug it in again for the night.

Comment

sony experia T

James Bond used it in the most recent movie so it must be cool

has all the features of any smartphone really!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    Any recommendations for an Android with good battery life?
                    I've got the S3 which drinks battery too quickly. I make like one call per day, and browse web for about 1 hr in total. Also have all of the sync settings disabled.
                    I just want to have at least some battery left when I plug it in again for the night.
                    The Moto G has a good battery life according to its users
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X