• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Early meetings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early meetings

Clientco ask me to attend an 8:30am meeting tomorrow at a moments notice. I have pushed back and counter offered 15 mins later start. Im already up at 6am to get in at almost 9am so not going in any earlier.

Worst one was a few years back when I was asked at 5:30pm to make a meeting over 3 hours travel from me at 9am the next day. I stupidly gave in because the project was important to clientco, and the organiser didn't even show. GRRR!

what does the panel think on cheeky people wanting early meetings?

It's a worrying trend.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Just refuse to do it. There are plenty more contractors waiting in the wings when you don't get renewed.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

8am this morning, cancelled 10 mins before, I went and mowed the lawn.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Just refuse to do it. There are plenty more contractors waiting in the wings when you don't get renewed.
          If you are prepared to bend to every whim that your client demands, then you might want to check your IR35 status.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            what does the panel think on cheeky people wanting early meetings?
            It depends on how regular these things occur, and how inconvenient it is for me. If it was taking me three hours every day from getting up to getting to client site, then I wouldn't be available for anything earlier than 9, and I would make it clear to the client that I wasn't available at that time because of the travel.

If I'm travelling, then I would see if there was an opportunity for a dial-in instead until I arrived in person, or get the meeting pushed back until I knew I could be there.

Alternatively, accept and then get stuck in traffic.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Just refuse to do it. There are plenty more contractors waiting pin the wings when you don't get renewed.
              Plenty waiting, but the more clients I work with the less I'm convinced any of them are any good.

Comment

I recall my interview at the shipyard shortly after graduation.

"Well I think you'll be a good fit. Now some formalities, we start at 7.45am"

I nearly fainted. I was a student the day before who din't taste the toothpaste until noon.

A commuting time of more than an hour is nuts. You should stay locally to the client when such meetings are called. Alternatively grow a pair and say that time is not possible for you. You're the contractor with the skills. If you're being paid for timekeeping I'd be worried.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Try a contract in maufacturing, 830am is late.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    A commuting time of more than an hour is nuts.
                    An hour is fairly luxurious in my book (right now is 40 minutes which is awesome - except it's in the middle of nowhere).
                    It all depends on where you're located, but in anything larger than a mid-sized town it;s probably going to take you at least 20 minutes just to get out of town Then 20 minutes into another mid-sized town where clientCo are located. That only leaves 20 minutes between towns before you're already at an hour!

Comment

Working...
                    X