• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is my CPU slow?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my CPU slow?

I used to follow CPU releases but these days I'm lost. My trusty Compaq-Presario VC913AA-ABU CQ5115UK runs Intel's G33 chipset with the 775 socket... mine has a 2.33GHz Q8200 Intel Core 2 Quad CPU. Apparently this socket will take something a bit faster but I've no idea if it's worth it or if I could even buy such a CPU these days.

A new PC would be better but I can't really be arsed setting it up and reinstalling everything! Is upgrading even worth considering... a cheap 256GiB SSD perhaps? Could I clone my HD into a new PC?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

acceptable but could do better.

PassMark - Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz - Price performance comparison

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - High Mid Range CPU's

Unless you are crunching lots of numbers then an SSD will give you a lot more bang for your buck.

yes some of the SSD's come with a kit for doing it but if not plenty of well documented walk throughs.

Have you run some performance monitoring on your normal workload? Seen what is causing the bottleneck.

Windows 7 performance monitoring tools

Use PerfMon to Diagnose Common Server Performance Problems
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It seems the fastest CPU I could fit (A Q9660 or something around 3GHz) benchmarks nearly 2X as fast - which surprised me - but is prohibitively expensive.

It's likely I'd need a new PC quite soon but would it be reasonable to do this in 2 steps...
      1. Get a SSD in my current PC
      2. When I get a new PC, move the SSD across
      Or will this trigger all kinds of MS alarms?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        [*]When I get a new PC, move the SSD across
        Won't all the MOBO drivers and HAL stuff be wrong, therefore unlikely to work. I'm no expert (no lol thanks) but I didn't think you could just move the drive to a new chassis. And of couse MS would de-activate Windows (which is not too hard to sort IIRC).

#JustSayin

Comment

Isn't Windows capable of detecting the drivers needed, just like when you plug in a new graphics card?

Comment

Isn't Windows capable of detecting the drivers needed, just like when you plug in a new graphics card?
            I've done similar when fitting an upgraded MoBo/Processor to an older PC. Windows is surprisingly capable of sorting out the required drivers etc.. for the new MoBo in my (admittedly, limited) experience.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Windows 7?

http://www.ssdfreaks.com/content/664...s-own-software

have changed from HDD -> SSD - new SSD on my laptop no problems.

M$ let you do 1 - 2 changes every few months without trouble. (e.g. HDD & memory)

Comment

Yeah, W7 ultimate... I'd like to keep W7 for a while longer, ideally until W9

Comment

Yeah, W7 ultimate... I'd like to keep W7 for a while longer, ideally until W9
                  you are not alone!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Won't all the MOBO drivers and HAL stuff be wrong, therefore unlikely to work. I'm no expert (no lol thanks) but I didn't think you could just move the drive to a new chassis. And of couse MS would de-activate Windows (which is not too hard to sort IIRC).

#JustSayin
                    Windows allows a set number of hardware changes. If you breach this, and a mobo change does breach this, then when you boot windows will ask you to call a number and enter a code, then they send you a new code which you tap in and then 3 or 4 reboots while it adjusts it's drivers.

No yes it can be done, it's just ball ache.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X