• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

False memories.Anyone got any?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

False memories.Anyone got any?

Interesting article here where normal people (not tortured) confessed to things they had not done:

The Reykjavik Confessions

Wonder how much of this sort of thing figures in prosecution of Rolf Harris and others? When pressed, can people persuade themselves that things actually happened when they did not?

I do have a sort of false memory of my own that I once saw Tony Blair when he visited a place I was working. Yet for some reason I am not totally sure and can find no indication on Google that he ever visited the town in question. I can remember the exact circumstances when I saw various other public figures/celebrities so it's odd that that memory is so vague. Unless the horror of it has caused my mind to try and blot it out!

Anyone else have recollections they are not totally sure of? Not quite sure if they were real or dreams?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I invented the use of the word 'flange' when at school for referring to a woman's lady parts. I remember it clearly because I thought it was genius.

My other half insists that it must be a false memory.

Comment

Yeah, I once thought I saw a pussycat...I didn't, I'm sure I didn't.

Comment

My sister and I both have the same memory of something that happened - she's convinced it happened to her, I know it happened to me - it definitely didn't happen to both of us, so she must have a false memory

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Anyone else have recollections they are not totally sure of? Not quite sure if they were real or dreams?
          Yes; memory is pretty complicated stuff and it plays tricks on us.

I think I remember seeing ball lightning when I was about 4 or 5, while in my gran's caravan at the campsite in Morecambe Bay; an orange-pink ball shaped object flew over the caravan and I remember my mate saying it was ball lightning. But I'm not sure whether it really happened or if it was a dream or false memory.

The power of suggestion should not be underestimated, especially combined with pressure and the threat of something unpleasant happening, like loss of one's personal freedom.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Interesting article here where normal people (not tortured) confessed to things they had not done:

The Reykjavik Confessions

Wonder how much of this sort of thing figures in prosecution of Rolf Harris and others? When pressed, can people persuade themselves that things actually happened when they did not?

I do have a sort of false memory of my own that I once saw Tony Blair when he visited a place I was working. Yet for some reason I am not totally sure and can find no indication on Google that he ever visited the town in question. I can remember the exact circumstances when I saw various other public figures/celebrities so it's odd that that memory is so vague. Unless the horror of it has caused my mind to try and blot it out!

I remember that you used to post some sense from time to time, but an extensive search suggests this may be a false memory.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I can't remember

Comment

Yes. Indeed
                I invaded Iraq to get rid of an evil dictator, and now millions of fools have the false memory that it was something to do with WMD's

-T.Blair
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Yes. Indeed
                  I invaded Iraq to get rid of an evil dictator, and now millions of fools have the false memory that it was something to do with WMD's

-T.Blair
                  Weapons of Mass Deception?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I have a very strong false memory.

Back in 2000 my younger brother died and I went into shock. Shortly after speaking to my parents and sister I phoned my best friend.

I was obviously really upset, crying and shouting.

I clearly remember walking down the stairs and out into the street, talking to him on the phone.

However my "memory" is from the perspective of someone standing in the street watching me come out of my door on the phone. I remember watching me, walking outside and being distraught.

Obviously this is impossible. Therefore I have a false memory.

Comment

Working...
                    X