• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Termination and bullying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Termination and bullying

I was given my notice on my contract halfway through the contract (had another 3 months to go) for which I believe was not a real reason.

In my contracting years, I've never encountered management like this, alway had contracts renewed and received excellent feedback.

This time was a very strange situation. I've had a very hard time with this contract, been bullied and harrassed repeatedly by the manager who manages me who has created a very negative impression of me.

Long story short, I was told I was incapable of doing my job. I was bought in at PMO assistant level, but told I was the PMO Lead and was expected to work as the PMO Lead with no discussion about rate change or title change.

I was also told that they expected me to deliver results at this level but didn't want me to ask any questions and nor would they give any context (!) I have numerous examples of very strange behaviour.

Today a friend told me I could have a case for bullying / harrassment and potentially wrongful dismissal. But does this work as a contractor?

Would it be worth it? ie would I be paid out on the remainder of the contract - 3 months?

Would I need evidence? The person who has bullied me doesn't want me to communicate by email so she avoids emailing me and always delivers her harrasment verbal style.

I would normally just choose to focus on finding something better, focusing on the positive etc, but sometimes, when you're being bulled maybe I should just make a stand? I've never come across anything quite like it. I'm not even permitted to finish a question before I am cut off and then patronised and put down. Its so weird.

Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's horrible to find yourself in a situation like that, but as a contractor, you're not protected by employment legislation, so there is no 'wrongful dismissal'. Unless the law has been broken (discrimination, sexual/racial harassment etc) you just have to chalk it up and move on. They don't need to give a reason to get rid of you - "sorry, we don't require your services any more" will do it. The fact that you were given notice is a plus - many contractor's aren't.

Move on to something that doesn't make you unhappy.

Comment

If this was me I would have given my notice after figuring out the person who hired me had taken a dislike to me. Its so important to have that person on your side. 3 months in with that kind of relationship sounds like hell.

I had to deal with a rather unpleasant character on my last contract. However that was just a permie who I had to deal with, and the guy who hired me knew the guy was a d*ck. I was able to act professionally and reasonably and allowed him to come out looking worse. The guy must have been taken to one side by his boss as I never had problems with him again. I think you need to build up some kind of support from seniors within the organisation, but if it is the seniors who are against you, then you really are on your own.

Also, being a contractor you (should) have the freedom to move away without fear of having to secure another role to move into before you leave the current one. That is of course 'if' you are able to give notice to terminate your contract.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        If this was me I would have given my notice after figuring out the person who hired me had taken a dislike to me. Its so important to have that person on your side. 3 months in with that kind of relationship sounds like hell
        You do mean notice after you secured yourself a new role . It would take a lot more than this for me to bench myself IMO. I've been there as well and as uncomfortable as it is it's better than no invoicing.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You do mean notice after you secured yourself a new role . It would take a lot more than this for me to bench myself IMO. I've been there as well and as uncomfortable as it is it's better than no invoicing.
          Yup, totally this. It is horrible, because as much as we are businesses, we are also human beings, and of course it's uncomfortable when you're working with people who are unpleasant. But when you can see that happening, it is best to look for another gig and move on.

I didn't, and I regretted it. Probably don't regret it now, but I also probably shouldn't have stuck around.

Mudskipper is right, no employee rights for the OP as a contractor, and to the OP, you've probably had an IR35 escape there as well - by asking you to do things you weren't contracted to do, the client was exercising D&C, which is one of the three things an IR35 investigation would look for, so you're best off out of it. No compensation for you to claim (and you don't want to get paid for work you haven't done, as that would push you further towards IR35 potentially), but look forward to your next gig instead.

Comment

It is rubbish. IMO you need to move on. But, remember that you are good at what you do, and the other person is the one with issues. Try hard not to let self-doubt overcome you.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Sounds like he didn't want a contractor doing that role or perhaps was overruled so made it go wrong so he could say "told you so". Sounds like politics. I would move on.

My advice would be when no-one is co-operating is not to get angry (well show that your angry ) , talk to the manager and say there's no point in continuing, because there is no co-operation and you don't have any information, i.e. the advice above, terminate yourself.

It's not about being competent or not competent it's simply organisation, in this case an incompetent manager.

There are jobs that used to be referred to as "widow maker" jobs, i.e. whoever does it will be destroyed.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 18 June 2014, 09:16.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Your Toast at the company but

HR departments dont know the difference between permie bulling and you being a contractor, find the name of head of HR send them an email saying you were bullied. They will take it from there, will only get you some Karma payback but worth it for a laugh as she squims with HR

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                  HR departments dont know the difference between permie bulling and you being a contractor, find the name of head of HR send them an email saying you were bullied. They will take it from there, will only get you some Karma payback but worth it for a laugh as she squims with HR
                  What a load of pap.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

pap

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    What a load of pap.
                    I agree completly, we got rid of one contractor who just never turned up one week (went on Holiday as a good deal, but never atually informed anyone he was not avalible for work - that would have been fine).

Next thing we know HR are dragging us in to a million meetings as he accused us of not bullying but a 'Hate crime' because we hated the fact he went on holiday without telling us. - HR were great at wasting our time

Comment

Working...
                    X