• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Racism at its finest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racism at its finest

BBC News - Poor white pupils 'need best teachers and long days'

So if a white child and a black child are in class and both doing badly then the white child gets more help?

Can't we just give help to the children that need it?

Agreed it should apply to all children, in some respects it reminds me of the saying "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink". I grew up on a council estate and I'd say my family were poor but I absolutely loved school and always did my best even though my mum didn't give a tulip.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      Agreed it should apply to all children, in some respects it reminds me of the saying "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink". I grew up on a council estate and I'd say my family were poor but I absolutely loved school and always did my best even though my mum didn't give a tulip.
      So you came from a council estate and worked your way up via school?

So when did things go wrong and you ended up in IT?

Comment

A lot of it is more complex than this.
        For instance there are many housing estates originally built to support the workforce for mines, shipyards, steel works, and so on which are still there long after that large local employer has shut down. Many are "social" housing where the rent is subsidised, and there are heavy disincentives for anyone to move away from that house to another area with more jobs where they are unlikely to get access to such housing subsidy. The way the schools you can use is tied to your postcode also acts to segregate children. The reality is immigration is not happening into failing social housing estates where the local employers have all moved away, so the immigrant population disproportionately do not suffer the worst sink schools on these estates. And so on.
        Housing estates left behind when the local employer shuts in extreme need to be allowed to fail, folk need to be allowed to take their housing subsidy anywhere they want, and in extreme houses with no local employers need to be allow to empty. Stop pouring state subsidy into the worst examples. In others the price of local housing would reduce with local employers moving away, making the area cheaper to live in, and more competitive as folk would need less money to live on and then able to attract new employers. This does not happen currently as the state subsidises the houses and controls the prices.
        So any realistic solution needs a lot to change.
        For one the equality agenda needs to be changed to a more general pro meritocracy one, where working class accents and so on have as much protection as racial discrimination. We have the opposite where Cameron openly hires from the Eton crowd etc.
        So much social engineering and state manipulation when letting individual end citizens make their own decisions would self balance much of this much better.
        And yes we do need to control immigration a lot better too.
        Its surely not racist to point out the sink schools folk living in old working class estates built to support long gone industries are forced to use are not good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          So you came from a council estate and worked your way up via school?

So when did things go wrong and you ended up in IT?
          Yep spot on most of the people I grew up with either:
          1. Ended up in prison
          2. Now deal drugs
          3. Left the area if they were bright enough

As for I.T. I always liked tinkering with computers but never saw it as a career choice, I kind of fell into it and luckily I find myself towards the top of the tree
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Can't we just give help to the children that need it?
            The white kids need it :

POOR PUPILS ACHIEVING GOOD GCSEs
            White British 32% (28.3% boys; 37% girls)
            Indian 62%
            Pakistani 47%
            Black African 51%
            Black Caribbean 42%

Not sure it is a good way of identifying those that are behind by race but it seems to be the way they do.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Why is there all this emphasis on the BBC of "poor" people. It seems as if they are the only important people in the world, in their world.

How about helping out the rich for a change?

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                Why is there all this emphasis on the BBC of "poor" people. It seems as if they are the only important people in the world, in their world.

We can help more people to become rich by getting rid of interference from the state.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  UKIP's new election slogan?

This report seems to entirely miss the obvious: that it's the parents that are to blame. Maybe the race element is that parents of ethnic minorities had a harder time when they were young and so push their children harder to succeed.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's probably better to stay poor, because if you do decide to make something of yourself everybody wants to screw you over
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X