• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uninsured Drivers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uninsured Drivers

My other half has just heard the git in the cap with the music and attitude who caused the accident decided he would opt-out of car insurance.

Annoying.

Difficult thing is I am not sure what the answer is. Putting up premiums to compensate only makes more consider not bothering. The punishment hardly seems to deter at the moment and it feels like it is only going to get worse.

Is the answer some sort of naming and shaming ? How about 49 numbered insurance dodgers on the Saturday Night Lottery show with the bonus ball getting a broadcasted flogging (together with sound) ?

How about putting them in jail?

Comment

Where they can acquire a whole new range of skills

Comment

maybe i'll cancel my car insurance then if there is no punishment !

Comment

Originally posted by FrankScribe
          Where they can acquire a whole new range of skills
          In solitary for a month?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            In solitary for a month?
            As long as you remove the curtains...
            Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

I thought the idea of insurance was that in the event of an accident the insurance company would pay any damages rather than the individual. If the individual has no insurance then he/she is responsible for any payment. If the scrote cannot pay up, then why is he/she not made sell all thier assets and made bankrupt if all else fails. At the moment there seems to be no penalty in not having insurance. If you don't have a crash, you don't have anything to pay. If you do have a crash or caught by the cops you get a fine which tends to be less than the annual premium.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

The happened to my sister. Someone hit her who had no insurance and wrote off both cars. Police did nothing but get rid of the cars and the insurance company just whistled a bit and hid. She ended up getting this guy called "Hard Eddie" to "persuade" the guy to pay up for a new car (fortunately only £500 as her old thing was a skip on wheels).
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Don't you claim the damages off your insurance who would then sue him/her personally to recover their costs?

Comment

The number of traffic cops on the road has reduced significantly with the advent of speed cameras. Chances are that uninsured cars are also untaxed and not MOT'd. In the old days of actually having real police on patrol (rather than cameras), dodgy cars got stopped. Ultimately the vehicle could then be crushed. With the over-reliance on cameras that doesn't happen as much and uninsured drivers don't get caught BEFORE they cause an accident.

Saw a TV prog a few days ago that showed the Cheshire (?) police with in-car systems that read number plates automatically and set off an alarm if the car was uninsured and/or untaxed. The car got stopped and driver arrested and the car could be scrapped. But the cop himself said that traffic cops were now being diverted to other things (like domestics) and they didn't have the resources to effectively use the equipment.

According to an article on the BBC website this week, everyone actually paying insurance pays £30 simply to cover the cost of the uninsured drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X