• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is IR35 dead any more?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is IR35 dead any more?

No - according to another contractor site that sounds like a loud request for an ice cream with a flake in it. The Treasury say they will continue to implement the intermediaries legislation.

Link?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

http://www.shout99.com/contractors/s...le.pl?id=39485

I you want a good reason to vote Labour, here it is, their viewpoint on small businesses.

A Treasury spokesman said: "The Government has maintained a consistent policy of supporting business and enterprise.

"It has provided a tax regime that has incentives to encourage individuals to invest for their own future and for the prosperity of Britain and incentives to encourage businesses to
      expand and grow. The Government is concerned that individuals and businesses have been encouraged to take advantage of these incentives and use them to reduce their tax and NICs liabilities through 'tax motivated incorporation'.

"Tax motivated incorporation is also concerning because operating through a corporate structure can deprive workers (many unwittingly) of their statutory employment rights. The Government has introduced a number of measures to address tax motivated incorporation while maintaining incentives for growth, investment and enterprise. But the 'incorporation industry' continues to evolve and come up with new schemes to minimise tax and NICs liabilities. The Government is committed to ensuring that all individuals and businesses pay their fair share of tax and NICs, regardless of their
      legal form.
      "HMRC continues to address compliance issues arising from the Intermediaries legislation.

"HMRC uses compliance resources to achieve maximum effectiveness, and has increased efficiency by getting more value from the resources deployed, and taking a risk-based approach."
      Last edited by DimPrawn; 1 September 2006, 08:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster
        Link?
        Am I allowed to? I got into trouble last time. Oh, all right then.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          Am I allowed to? I got into trouble last time. Oh, all right then.

You can provide a link that people may or may not be able to view based on their subscriptions/membership etc. You can't 'cut and paste' because it infringes copyright.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
            You can provide a link that people may or may not be able to view based on their subscriptions/membership etc. You can't 'cut and paste' because it infringes copyright.
            Thanks PL, I know. I forgot that the PCG has private forums.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              Thanks PL, I know. I forgot that the PCG has private forums.

Apparently all is now forgiven?*

*Note: the above are my personal comments only and do not reflect the opinions of anyone else including but not limited to organisations that I may be a member of. Phew that was close

Comment

I hate to say I told you so.....Oh alright then....
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  "Tax motivated incorporation is also concerning because operating through a corporate structure can deprive workers (many unwittingly) of their statutory employment rights. "
                  Anyone feeling unwittingly deprived of employment rights?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

That is one of the main things I don't like about IR35. They initially used this line of spin to announce that it was partially for employment protection. If that were the case, the financial penalty for forcing employees into a ltd company would fall on the clients. It doesn't. Instead the 'employee' loses any employment protection and gets a hefty tax bill to boot.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X