• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signers in the theatre

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signers in the theatre

Visited (well actually dragged) a touring production of Cats - which I last saw in London in the 80's

Anyroadup it was actually a quite good touring group with a nice tight production and choreography - but next to the stage with his very own spotlight was a signer stood on a plinth signing away to the songs which gave me a bit of a wtf moment

It struck me as a bit of a pointless exercise for a deaf person to visit a musical - then again I get annoyed at the TV channels with a signer as I don't understand why deaf people just wouldn't switch the subtitles on - that way at least the non deaf population wouldn't be bothered by some guy/girl gesticulating across a third of the screen

As the night wore on the signer became more intrusive and distracting- i.e. always in the field of vision

Is this now the norm in theatres ?
    Last edited by Troll; 19 June 2014, 23:22.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

I don't know the answer to that one but if I watch a TV show in English with the subtitles on I still read the subtitles.

Comment

Apparently Brussels didn't approve of the plan to gas all the people with disabilities, so now society is supposed to take simple measures to accommodate them

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Visited (well actually dragged) a touring production of Cats - which I last saw in London in the 80's

Anyroadup it was actually a quite good touring group with a nice tight production and choreography - but next to the stage with his very own spotlight was a signer stood on a plinth signing away to the songs which gave me a bit of a wtf moment

It struck me as a bit of a pointless exercise for a deaf person to visit a musical - then again I get annoyed at the TV channels with a signer as I don't understand why deaf people just wouldn't switch the subtitles on - that way at least the non deaf population wouldn't be bothered by some guy/girl gesticulating across a third of the screen

As the night wore on the signer became more intrusive and distracting- i.e. always in the field of vision

Is this now the norm in theatres ?
        Perhaps they like to watch people dance and while deaf they will still be able to sense the beat of the music due to the vibration it causes. As for subtitles - they miss out a bit of the speech which I suspect signing may not. I presume that you would apply the same mentality to opera. I mean, why should we provide subtitles for al of those too thick to not understand songs sung in Italian etc.

There is not a lot of point having somebody signing for deaf people if they are not in the field of vision! It's not like you van hide them behind a curtain!
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I don't know the answer to that one but if I watch a TV show in English with the subtitles on I still read the subtitles.
          Yeah, me too - I can't help it.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            I wonder if that's a Brit thing? I do that too, but my foreign partner says she can't watch and read at the same time, maybe because in Johnny Foreigner Land they dub movies rather than subtitle them.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Apparently Brussels didn't approve of the plan to gas all the people with disabilities, so now society is supposed to take simple measures to accommodate them
              That's exactly why we need to be out of Europe!

Vote UKIP!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Typical EU propaganda. The measures were brought in to oppress normal people.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I saw Cats a few months ago and there was no signer there.

I have seen a few musicals (I take my mother at least once a year) over the passed few years and have never seen a signer at any performance of anything now I think about it.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                    Perhaps they like to watch people dance and while deaf they will still be able to sense the beat of the music due to the vibration it causes. As for subtitles - they miss out a bit of the speech which I suspect signing may not.
                    So instead of watching the choreography on the stage they will spend all their time watching the signer and interpreting their hand movements - for something like Cats would appear to be a self defeating approach as it's mostly a visual show
                    Now a Rock Concert would be a different matter - would you say this should be addressed at say Glastonbury so deaf people can be accommodated?

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                    I presume that you would apply the same mentality to opera. I mean, why should we provide subtitles for al of those too thick to not understand songs sung in Italian etc.
                    I think you just argued against yourself there
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X