• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trial Period On Contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trial Period On Contract?

Hello Everyone,
    New poster here. Just moved from the States and having a few issues with the Agencies here.

My questions is 'Is it normal/acceptable for contracts to include the option to terminate services within the initial 7/10 day working period?'. That is, in essence have a trial period?

I ask because I am currently on a 3 month contract with a large company with no such stipulation.

I have been offered 2 other development positions that would require me to terminate my contract early. One was with XXX and the other I'll call Yellow.

In both cases there is wording to the effect of 'XXX IT Recruitment limited may in the first week of the agreement terminate the service provider with immediate effect. Thereafter XXXX IT Recruitment shall give the service provider 10 working days notice of termination. The service provider may not give notice and is obliged to work the full term of the contract.'

Now I've spoken to XXX Recruitment and got a rather smarmy, 'Oh it's standard' response.

I'm inclined to reject both offers and just stick out my 3 month contract which has no such stipulations. I'm more than willing to take whatever tests they would like me to but I may be culturally unaware of the norms here.

Would also like to know if 3 months is considered a 'long' contract in development here?

Thanks.

Originally posted by TracyTrace
    Hello Everyone,
    New poster here. Just moved from the States and having a few issues with the Agencies here.

My questions is 'Is it normal/acceptable for contracts to include the option to terminate services within the initial 7/10 day working period?'. That is, in essence have a trial period?

I ask because I am currently on a 3 month contract with a large company with no such stipulation.

I have been offered 2 other development positions that would require me to terminate my contract early. One was with XXX and the other I'll call Yellow.

In both cases there is wording to the effect of 'XXX IT Recruitment limited may in the first week of the agreement terminate the service provider with immediate effect. Thereafter XXXX IT Recruitment shall give the service provider 10 working days notice of termination. The service provider may not give notice and is obliged to work the full term of the contract.'

Now I've spoken to XXX Recruitment and got a rather smarmy, 'Oh it's standard' response.

I'm inclined to reject both offers and just stick out my 3 month contract which has no such stipulations. I'm more than willing to take whatever tests they would like me to but I may be culturally unaware of the norms here.

Would also like to know if 3 months is considered a 'long' contract in development here?

Thanks.
    go back to the states. stay out of our country

Comment

Sad Dude

You're a sad sad dude! Therapy might help.

Comment

You're a sad sad dude! Therapy might help.
        I´ve often thought most Americans need some.

A 1-week trial period seems to be much more common now.
        You might ask for it to go both ways (I don´t usually bother, if I want out that badly I will work to achieve their agreement on that point).

3 months is not uncommon, especially in the first instance. Neither long nor short.

Comment

My imediate answer is to stick with the current contract. Thats the proffessional thing to do.

These contracts can be standard (big agencies) or are tailored to the clients requirements. If client agency contract has this clause then the agencies going to be damn sure to pass that down the line.

The thing to remeber this is a business to business contract so its negoicable.

If you don't like a clause have it removed, if the agency won't play then find another contract or accept the clause.

My contract has no early termination on either side except for the obvious gross misconduct ones. That improves my position.

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
            go back to the states. stay out of our country
            Depends. If they voted for the Texas chimp, then yes. If not, then they're running from a dangerous government and they should be able to stay.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

The Lil Island

Oh dear,
              It appears that the little island still holds a grudge over loosing an entire subcontinent a few hundred years ago.

As we'd say over there 'GET OVER IT!'

If I had known the animosity that my esteemed 'professionals' on this forum held for Americans I might have made my avatar the American flag.

Therapy notwithstanding, I'm here for the chocolate.

So am I going to get actual answers to my original post or is the Yankee bashing simply going to continue unabated?

Comment

It appears that the little island still holds a grudge over loosing an entire subcontinent a few hundred years ago.
                I think you'll find it's actually more down to the Chimp and his foreign policy than anything else to be honest.
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Oh dear,
                  So am I going to get actual answers to my original post?
                  a) losing
                  b) Yes, you are darling. A contract is as long as its notice period. As a contractor, you are a whore with a keyboard. The customer can do what he wants... at any time.

hth
                  We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

IMHO - Three months isn't considered a long dev. contract. On the clause front I haven't has any such clauses in any of my contracts but if you can minimise any risk by staying where you are then why not.

P.S There are some pretty good guys/girls on this site (+ Some T*ts too). Stick with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X