• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft is adding a kill switch to Windows Phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft is adding a kill switch to Windows Phone

Potentially to "render a stolen device permanently unusable... ...to give stolen devices the value of a paperweight"

...what could possibly go wrong?

BBC News - Android and Windows to get 'kill switch'

You mean the thing iPhone already has, which hasn't led to massive problems?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      You mean the thing iPhone already has, which hasn't led to massive problems?
      Two things:

1. This is will be based on Microsoft technology and not NeXT.
      2. The Apple kill switch can be bypassed by a factory reset (and so it is essentially useless).
      Last edited by wonderboy; 20 June 2014, 10:24.

Comment

So Cryptolocker will shortly be arriving on smartphones
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

oh dear, this will be exploited at the first chance....
          "pay me $10000 BTC or I'll wipe all your phones"

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            So Cryptolocker will shortly be arriving on smartphones
            Reading the Wikipedia article on this trojan. I love the fact that a newer variant was released by the creator with the ransom adjusted down "to reflect the fluctuating value of Bitcoin".

CryptoLocker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

If its an immobiliser that can be reset by returning to a dealer it will work like car keys (until someone builds a tool to reset but hopefully that will be after the phone's value has fallen).

A new theory of crime: Driven down | The Economist
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                If its an immobiliser that can be reset by returning to a dealer it will work like car keys (until someone builds a tool to reset but hopefully that will be after the phone's value has fallen).

A new theory of crime: Driven down | The Economist
                Actually the failure-mode I was thinking of was simply someone hacking the system and issuing an ecosystem-wide kill command. At that point, the fact you can return your phone to a dealer becomes moot.
                Last edited by wonderboy; 20 June 2014, 10:21.

Comment

You can easily stop crypto locker or other malware affecting your phone by keeping it wrapped in tinfoil.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by wonderboy View Post
                    Actually the failure-mode I was thinking of was simply someone hacking the system and issuing an ecosystem-wide kill command. At that point, the fact you can return your phone to a dealer becomes moot.
                    indeed it does, however the sensible thing to do is to make the networks support it with commands normal people can't use. I expect Microsoft will think of such things, they hire some bright kids.

I'm assuming it would be linked to IMEI, subscriber and serial / phone number so any hacker would need all for each phone.
                    Last edited by vetran; 20 June 2014, 11:04.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X