• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing Ltd company name, good idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Ltd company name, good idea?

Im now into my 2nd year of a junior contractor and been toying with marketing myself. The name I chose doesn't really cut it.

If I wanted to change the company name, hows best to do it. Or am I best setting up a new company and getting the accountant to transfer things?

Just wondered if anyone's done it, or advise how to go about it, or if I just shouldn't go there?

thanks

Changing the name is easy, you just complete a form at Companies House and submit it with a resolution and a cheque for £10. Alternatively you could use a trading name, so be Badger Friends Limited trading as Hamsters R Us.

Setting up a whole new company and swapping trade across would be much more time consuming, and a hell of a lot more expensive!
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Yes, I did it last year and it's very simple.

Inform your accountant first, then make the change at Companies House (for a small fee), then either you or your accountant (if they are your agent) contacts HMRC to make the change to tax and VAT.

You keep the same registration number.

With that you then let the bank know and any suppliers (phones and stuff).

Update your website and LinkedIn and all's right with the world..
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

No such thing as a junior contractor.

I can see that a company called Sheep Shagging Valley Boys Limited would make a marketing exercise a little difficult.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 20 June 2014, 12:35.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          No such thing as a junior contractor.

I can see that a company called Sheep Shagging Valley Boys Limited would make a marketing exercise a little difficult.
          Depends on your target market

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            Changing the name is easy, you just complete a form at Companies House and submit it with a resolution and a cheque for £10. Alternatively you could use a trading name, so be Badger Friends Limited trading as Hamsters R Us.

Setting up a whole new company and swapping trade across would be much more time consuming, and a hell of a lot more expensive!
            If you are changing a name from one containing 'Badger' the new one should contain 'Beaver', shirley.
            I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
            X