• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What not to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What not to do

If your CV arrives into a client from more than one source, it suggests that ... you have been unprofessional ... it has been known that a contractor is completely disregarded if they have engaged a number of consultants to represent them.
    Jason D’Silva-Williams, managing consultant at Hudson.

"engaged a number of consultants to represent them"? I like that. Sounds like a good business model.

Doesn´t sound quite the same as "a number of salesmen may or may not be able to put you into a contract, so several of them want your CV in case they manage to be the ones to do it. Each one will tell you that they will put you forward and it would be a disaster for you if anyone else put you forward too. But in fact they may not have put you forward at all, because:
    - they don´t have access to the client but they´re hoping to grab you before the preferred supplier does, so they can lever themselves into the chain, or
    - they have someone else cheaper for the position, so they don´t want you availabe for it, whether through them or anyone else, or
    - they have a completely different role for you that wouldn´t be your first choice, but if you can be kept out of your first choice, you might take that, when nobody else on their books will.".

Tell me I´m an old cynic.

sounds about right !

Comment

Toss - it's the clients fault for placing the role with multiple agents in the first place. **** em!!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

That is true. Any client with half a brain who engages multiple agencies will have a policy for resolving that kind of dispute. If 5 agencies each put forward a CV and it's yours in every case, that must make you look at the top of your game. The only losers are the agencies.

Comment

I get that occasionally. Never caused me a problem.
          Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Utter crap. If you only go with one agency you will obviously only be put forward to clients that that agency provides services to. With regardsto specific advertised positions, even if you know an agency is a preferred supplier for a specific client, how can you be sure that the guy who actually has the main say does not have a very low opinion of them? Are most recruiters really so stupid as not to make the suitability of the candidate the main criterion?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Well yes, actually. I persuaded someone I know to put his CV up for a job on my team, since he was perfectly qualified to do the work in question at the rate I was offering. His CV never reached my desk, and I couldn't chase it from my end: the agent never answered the question either. I wound up with a fairly good alternative but you have to wonder just how much thought goes into the process at both the agency and the HR teams.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                Well yes, actually. I persuaded someone I know to put his CV up for a job on my team, since he was perfectly qualified to do the work in question at the rate I was offering. His CV never reached my desk
                And the agent want us to look "professional"?

Comment

'Consultants'

Expat,

A well done response - it would be nice to see a critique of the whole article in a similar vein.

But also what gets my goat, is the way these jumped up salesmen call themselves 'consultants''. They are generally in their 20s - would you trust a consultant to look at your piles say ;-) at the hospital if he was 25?

Comment

Originally posted by AttitudeAdjuster
                    But also what gets my goat, is the way these jumped up salesmen call themselves 'consultants''. They are generally in their 20s - would you trust a consultant to look at your piles say ;-) at the hospital if he was 25?
                    No, but if she was 25...

Comment

Working...
                    X