• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Car implication if gifted.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Car implication if gifted.

There is a possibility that at the end of the 3yr lease, my company will offer me the vehicle as a gift/incentive/bonus.

I'm sure there's some tax to be paid on this but can somebody please advise me on what.

The vehicles retail value new is £23K, and will have done approx 70,000 miles after the 3yr term. CO2 emission are 171.

All advice welcome..

The value of the "gift" would be the value of the asset, and you'd pay tax and NI on that accordingly. Effectively it's taxable as earnings (salary) would be.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      The value of the "gift" would be the value of the asset, and you'd pay tax and NI on that accordingly. Effectively it's taxable as earnings (salary) would be.
      Perfect, but would that be the value of the asset after the 3ys with whatever mileage it had on it. ie current market value?

Comment

Do people not speak to their accountants anymore?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RickJK View Post
          Perfect, but would that be the value of the asset after the 3ys with whatever mileage it had on it. ie current market value?
          Market value if sold to an unconnected third party. So you personally would be in no better position than if you'd bought the car from a company you had no connection to - otherwise there's benefit in kind issues.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Value it on what car.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              Market value if sold to an unconnected third party. So you personally would be in no better position than if you'd bought the car from a company you had no connection to - otherwise there's benefit in kind issues.
              Except he knows who's been driving it and how hard.
              Nice idea.
              Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Working...
              X