• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Walking as exercise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking as exercise

Wondered if any of the resident fitness experts could give some advice. I want to lose a few stone and fell fitter. I currently walk around 5km a day in about an hour as a way of keeping active. I work from home and sitting at desk etc etc you get the picture. Is this sufficent activity for general fitness or do I need to bust a sweat? I have a water rower and try and do 30 mins but have been skipping it last few weeks.

Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Wondered if any of the resident fitness experts could give some advice. I want to lose a few stone and fell fitter. I currently walk around 5km a day in about an hour as a way of keeping active. I work from home and sitting at desk etc etc you get the picture. Is this sufficent activity for general fitness or do I need to bust a sweat? I have a water rower and try and do 30 mins but have been skipping it last few weeks.
    Yes, if you understand 'general fitness' to be a basically healthy level of fitness.

A bit of variety might be a good thing; ride a bike for an hour or go for a half hour swim once or twice a week or get back on the water rower.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Have you thought about eating less and if you have tried but can't help yourself try wiring your teeth together?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The best way to lose weight is to change your diet. Do you have any indulgences that can be swapped out? I swapped my bagguet and crips for a graze box and that was a major contributory factor to me shedding two stone. I stopped taking sugar in tea and putting sugar on my cereal etc.

Is there any way you could include more walking? Could you walk to the town on Saturday rather than drive etc?
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Yes, if you understand 'general fitness' to be a basically healthy level of fitness.

A bit of variety might be a good thing; ride a bike for an hour or go for a half hour swim once or twice a week or get back on the water rower.
          Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Have you thought about eating less and if you have tried but can't help yourself try wiring your teeth together?
          Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          The best way to lose weight is to change your diet. Do you have any indulgences that can be swapped out? I swapped my bagguet and crips for a graze box and that was a major contributory factor to me shedding two stone. I stopped taking sugar in tea and putting sugar on my cereal etc.

Is there any way you could include more walking? Could you walk to the town on Saturday rather than drive etc?
          Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will add the water rower 30 mins most days of the week as it works upper body a bit as well. Diet wise I try and avoid sugar and cakes etc but probably drink 8-10 pints of lager over the week which I could cut to just 4 say. I do try and walk more at the weekend.

Comment

Get out in the hills at the weekend; great exercise, superb views, and perfect thinking time.

Comment

5km a day isn't a bad bit of exercise but it doesn't burn many calories. If you were already at the weight you wanted, you could probably eat and drink quite happily with it, but if you want to lose substantial weight - a few stone?! - you'll have to create quite a big imbalance in calories you eat vs use. You can draw your own line how to balance that!

You might also think you're eating healthily but be eating far more than you need, of "good" foods. You might sign up for Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com and start by simply logging what you do in a regular week currently - you may be surprised!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will add the water rower 30 mins most days of the week as it works upper body a bit as well. Diet wise I try and avoid sugar and cakes etc but probably drink 8-10 pints of lager over the week which I could cut to just 4 say. I do try and walk more at the weekend.
                A good long walk at the weekend for a few hours can do wonders for burning off fat, as long as you don't follow it with a skinfull.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
                  Get out in the hills at the weekend; great exercise, superb views, and perfect thinking time.
                  Absolutely; hill walking is effectively an interval training that raises and lowers the heart rate and makes your leg muscles work hard.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    5km a day isn't a bad bit of exercise but it doesn't burn many calories. If you were already at the weight you wanted, you could probably eat and drink quite happily with it, but if you want to lose substantial weight - a few stone?! - you'll have to create quite a big imbalance in calories you eat vs use. You can draw your own line how to balance that!

You might also think you're eating healthily but be eating far more than you need, of "good" foods. You might sign up for Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com and start by simply logging what you do in a regular week currently - you may be surprised!
                    Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
                    A good long walk at the weekend for a few hours can do wonders for burning off fat, as long as you don't follow it with a skinfull.
                    Absolutely; hill walking is effectively an interval training that raises and lowers the heart rate and makes your leg muscles work hard.
                    More great advice thanks. I think the 5km per day will be my base level then add the water rower and long 2-4 hours walks at the weekend will be plenty. Diet wise I try not to each much till after 5pm, i.e. a few boiled eggs.,then a large meal in the evening usually a takeway or eating out.

Comment

Working...
                    X