• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK passports to be made obsolete in favour of EU passports by 2018

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK passports to be made obsolete in favour of EU passports by 2018

Oh well. Probably for the best.

Read the full article here

"The Customs Union, characterised by an absence of internal borders, is an essential foundation of the European Union (EU) which applies to all trade of goods (Article 28 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU). The customs duties on borders, as well as charges having equivalent effect between Member States, are forbidden. At external borders, the Common Customs Tariff, along with the Integrated Tariff (TARIC), is applied to goods from third countries. Goods moving freely within the Union comply with the rules of the internal market and with certain provisions of the Common Commercial Policy. In addition, instruments such as the Community Customs Code ensure that Member States’ customs authorities apply the standards uniformly.
    The Customs Union, initiated by the Treaty of Rome in 1957, was established on 1 July 1968. Its mechanisms have essentially evolved to adapt to new technologies and to ensure greater security, particularly with regard to protection against counterfeiting and piracy.
    "
    Last edited by scooterscot; 20 June 2014, 14:58.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

What if the EU could renew them on time then?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      What if the EU could renew them on time then?
      Well it's funny you say that. I learnt the other day Germans get receive a passport at the same day as their application, without fees.

My daughter, being born in Germany and once she is 12, can apply & collect a gerry passport.

Speaking to a Spanish chap and German chap in the pub a couple of nights ago. They both were keen on the idea of having a EU passport. Personally I like the idea myself.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Wheredoes that leave the scots? I don't suppose it matters as they wont be able to afford to run an airport
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Well it's funny you say that. I learnt the other day Germans get receive a passport at the same day as their application, without fees.
          Used to be like that for cloggies; turn up at town hall with their passports and walk out with a new one an hour later. Then the wonderful tulipfaces in the Hague decided to centralise it, apparently inspired by the British system and now it takes a few weeks. NL is quite good at selecting failed British policies and half-copying them; the railways are another fine example.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            NL is quite good at selecting failed British policies and half-copying them
            Let me guess, it's the tulip half they decide to copy?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              Let me guess, it's the tulip half they decide to copy?
              You know, you couldn't be more correct if you were Mr Correct from Correctborough, Correctshire, Correctland.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Oh well. Probably for the best.

Read the full article [URL="http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2006/06/british_passpor.html"]here[URL].

"The Customs Union, characterised by an absence of internal borders, is an essential foundation of the European Union (EU) which applies to all trade of goods (Article 28 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU). The customs duties on borders, as well as charges having equivalent effect between Member States, are forbidden. At external borders, the Common Customs Tariff, along with the Integrated Tariff (TARIC), is applied to goods from third countries. Goods moving freely within the Union comply with the rules of the internal market and with certain provisions of the Common Commercial Policy. In addition, instruments such as the Community Customs Code ensure that Member States’ customs authorities apply the standards uniformly.
                The Customs Union, initiated by the Treaty of Rome in 1957, was established on 1 July 1968. Its mechanisms have essentially evolved to adapt to new technologies and to ensure greater security, particularly with regard to protection against counterfeiting and piracy.
                "

21 June 2006 9:58 AM

Jasus feckin wept you must be bored today Scooter

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  21 June 2006 9:58 AM

Jasus feckin wept you must be bored today Scooter
                  Yes, I am.
                  Last edited by scooterscot; 20 June 2014, 15:00.

Comment

guess how many passports will be issued in Italy & Sangatte in the first few years.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X