• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Italy vs Costa Rica

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italy vs Costa Rica

Well that put it all in perspective.

I was reasonably upbeat after our performance against Italy. Not any more - on the basis of this evening's performance we were beaten by an average side.

Yes, we battled and our work rate was good but we have nothing to show for it apart from Rooney's wonder goal. Let's hope it'll be a springboard for him to go on and deliver what he's always promised at the Euros in 2016.

But I fear we're turning into another Scotland - brave battling performances like vs Brazil in 1982 (David Narey?) and Strachan's goal vs Argentina (or was it Holland?) in 1978 - but always destined to fall at the first hurdle.

It's true what some are saying about there being too many foreign players in the top PL teams and you only have to look at Scotland since they are the very model for the kind of decline we're seeing.

Don't think I could name an extant Scottish player truth be told. People always used to go on about merging the leagues and having a Great Britain football team - I don't honestly see what that would but us now. Apart from Gareth Bale.

Many disappointed iTalians here in München.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Italy vs Costa Rica

Springboard for Rooney? That was 8 years ago, and if he hasn't performed on the big stage yet then there's no reason to suspect he'll find world-class quality in the next 2 years.

Rooney's the epitome of the English game - bullys and bashes his way around the field with no finesse. The problem isn't that there are too many foreign players in the PL, it's that the English players don't learn from them and get sucked in by the media that they (the English) are better than what they actually are.

And it was hardly a wonder goal, it won't exactly break the sweat of the commentators looking for the best goals of the tournament.
      Last edited by meridian; 21 June 2014, 08:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
        Well that put it all in perspective.

I was reasonably upbeat after our performance against Italy. Not any more - on the basis of this evening's performance we were beaten by an average side.

Yes, we battled and our work rate was good but we have nothing to show for it apart from Rooney's wonder goal. Let's hope it'll be a springboard for him to go on and deliver what he's always promised at the Euros in 2016.

But I fear we're turning into another Scotland - brave battling performances like vs Brazil in 1982 (David Narey?) and Strachan's goal vs Argentina (or was it Holland?) in 1978 - but always destined to fall at the first hurdle.

It's true what some are saying about there being too many foreign players in the top PL teams and you only have to look at Scotland since they are the very model for the kind of decline we're seeing.

Don't think I could name an extant Scottish player truth be told. People always used to go on about merging the leagues and having a Great Britain football team - I don't honestly see what that would but us now. Apart from Gareth Bale.

Wonder goal ?? I know you are an absolute bottom drawer pathetic sockie getting kicks from trolling here but at least try and get some quality in your threads. Right now, the quality seems worse than England footie team.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Maybe he means "wonder goal" as in, "it was a wonder Rooney could find the back of the net"...

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            Springboard for Rooney? That was 8 years ago, and if he hasn't performed on the big stage yet then there's no reason to suspect he'll find world-class quality in the next 2 years.

Rooney's the epitome of the English game - bullys and bashes his way around the field with no finesse. The problem isn't that there are too many foreign players in the PL, it's that the English players don't learn from them and get sucked in by the media that they (the English) are better than what they actually are.

And it was hardly a wonder goal, it won't exactly break the sweat of the commentators looking for the best goals of the tournament.
            England where shoot when we had no domestic foreign players too, remember 74 and 78?

Comment

Working...
            X