• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

woman who stopped car to help ducks faces life in jail after causing fatal crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

woman who stopped car to help ducks faces life in jail after causing fatal crash

Canadian woman who stopped car to help ducks faces life in jail after causing fatal crash - Telegraph

Why?

If she had pulled in front of moving traffic then fine. But she was stopped.

Surely those behind should leave enough distance to be able to stop?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Canadian woman who stopped car to help ducks faces life in jail after causing fatal crash - Telegraph

Why?

It was a provincial highway! The equivalent of stopping on the inside lane on the M1 to help a hedgehog.

Comment

Nice lady. Ducks and hedgehogs are much more important than ghastly people.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
        It was a provincial highway! The equivalent of stopping on the inside lane on the M1 to help a hedgehog.
        She stopped in the left lane. Don't they drive on the right in Canada?

Surely that would be the equivalent of stopping in the outside lane of the M1. Crazy Bint.

True, the biker should have been paying attention...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Why?

not just that, what if it had been a moose or a bear ?
          those rascals appear out of nowhere and move fast

they must have a law saying it's ok to squash stuff, but nothing that might scratch the paintwork
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It's also disputed whether she had activated her hazard lights or not.

I feel for her and I don't think she deserves life in prison, but there are some mistakes that are so criminally negligent that someone has to be punished.

Yes, the bike should have stopped but this wasn't a broken down car and a terrible accident - it was there due to a complete lack of thinking by the driver.

I'd guess that they saw the car but didn't realise it wasn't moving until it was too late.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              not just that, what if it had been a moose or a bear ?
              those rascals appear out of nowhere and move fast

they must have a law saying it's ok to squash stuff, but nothing that might scratch the paintwork
              I'm not following your argument here - she didn't stop to avoid a collision, she stopped to get out of the car and chase ducks around. There was no good reason for her to be in the situation - hypotheticals where there may be a good reason are somewhat immaterial.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                I'm not following your argument here - she didn't stop to avoid a collision, she stopped to get out of the car and chase ducks around. There was no good reason for her to be in the situation - hypotheticals where there may be a good reason are somewhat immaterial.
                It's not hypothetical though. Drive on those roads and you have to stop constantly, at some point you have to look at the beastie and make a split second decision, squash, swerve or stop.
                I am a bit of a squasher myself, although I did stop once for an eight foot moose who then jumped the barrier and dived in to the Athabasca river
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The maximum sentence is life. Doesn't mean she'll get it. They don't say what the minimum is. But stopping in the overtaking/fast lane is monumentally (and indeed criminally) stupid.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What happened to the ducks?

Comment

Working...
                    X