• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London's dominance is "not healthy" for the economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London's dominance is "not healthy" for the economy

BBC News - New high-speed rail link needed to boost north of England, Osborne to say

Is London's dominance is healthy for the economy?

What should be done?
    Yes
    30.77%
    No
    50.00%
    AndyW's mum is a dominatrix
    19.23%

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    BBC News - New high-speed rail link needed to boost north of England, Osborne to say

Is London's dominance is healthy for the economy?

What should be done?
    If I knew that I could make mega money as a consultant to the government , I think they've already started to decentralise certain government departments but they could go a lot further. Do they really need to be in London? Or we could just turn it into Game of Thrones and a King/Warden of the North
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Well, the 'north'. It's more like the middle of England. Scotland can be the part beyond the wall, it's run by ghouls as it is. Also, can the southwest have one too?

Comment

It's funny as people outside of London rarely have a good thing to say about it whereas those who live there rave about it like my housemate who tells me "Oh there so much to do here and all the museums and galleries are here etc." whereas as I think it's just a rat trap of a city.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          It's funny as people outside of London rarely have a good thing to say about it whereas those who live there rave about it like my housemate who tells me "Oh there so much to do here and all the museums and galleries are here etc." whereas as I think it's just a rat trap of a city.
          I agree and like any city I go to it's fine for a day or two but if I had to live there stacked on top of each other in your trendy little flats with no gardens I think I would go mad.

The fact is though I can get from my house in NW england to London Euston in about 2 hours door to door - and that is happily commutable not that I would want it.

Comment

More 'could', 'should, & 'maybe' from the the government that lies more than the sleeping tabby at no. 10

But it's election time and procedure dictates you slop out some catchy headlines for the gullible masses whose memory retention struggles to exceed that of a clown fish.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

A decent transport system would definitely help me out, I'm pretty farked off with the M4 J4 -J1 and J23 - J26
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

A decent transport system would definitely help me out, I'm pretty farked off with the M4 J4 -J1 and J23 - J26
                You're likely to remain pretty farked off for the remainder of your working life given the speed infrastructure develops in this country.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Indeed if I commute to Manc during peak times it takes me 30 minutes to do the first 25 miles and then anything between 30-60 minutes to do the last 5

what is wrong with a decent mass transit system somewhere out near the airport - a pay n ride scheme would just be so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    I agree and like any city I go to it's fine for a day or two but if I had to live there stacked on top of each other in your trendy little flats with no gardens I think I would go mad.

The fact is though I can get from my house in NW england to London Euston in about 2 hours door to door - and that is happily commutable not that I would want it.
                    Well this Londoner spent a very enjoyable sunny weekend tending his good sized garden. I hope you aware London does not just consist of zones 1 and 2

Comment

Working...
                    X