• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Never selling an old PC on ebay again!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never selling an old PC on ebay again!

Sold PC on ebay. Decent PC with legit windows 7 installed complete with licence sticker.

Young lad pays by paypal and collect. Next day hes texting me - replaced graphics card and it doesnt work now. So I try to help him out because Im thinking either he doesnt know what hes doing or hes knackered something.

Then I get text, actually my wife went mad I bought it can I return it? Im thinking FFS cant be arsed, put it all back as it was and bring it back. I'll check it and if its ok then you can have paypal refund.

Over the last two days now I've found out

1. Hes upgraded it to windows 8.1. (No mate, I cant sell it with unlicenced software on - put it back).

2. He scraped off the windows 7 licence sticker and chucked it. (Nice one mate - now I cant prove its genuine).

So its becoming obvious, hes taken it apart had no idea what hes doing, stuck a new graphics card in it, upgraded it, cant get it working and now expects me to take it back as it is. Must admit at the back of my mind I'm wondering if hes screwed it up fitting new gpu.

Despite me asking he hasnt commented yet on what happens when to puts original card back in.

Tell you what there are some right bellends out there. I aint argos and I dont have a 14 day exchange policy. I'm not a complete tosser and would have taken it back but to think you can rip it to pieces install what you want then get a refund it beyond.

Latest just text me now. Hes lost the licence sticker and cant get windows 7 installed on it. Can he bring it back and I sort it?

Yeh right mate. I'll spend an hour of my time getting it back to how it was! And anyway I didnt note the licence key down and you've lost it now!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Sold PC on ebay. Decent PC with legit windows 7 installed complete with licence sticker.

Young lad pays by paypal and collect. Next day hes texting me - replaced graphics card and it doesnt work now. So I try to help him out because Im thinking either he doesnt know what hes doing or hes knackered something.

Then I get text, actually my wife went mad I bought it can I return it? Im thinking FFS cant be arsed, put it all back as it was and bring it back. I'll check it and if its ok then you can have paypal refund.

Over the last two days now I've found out

1. Hes upgraded it to windows 8.1. (No mate, I cant sell it with unlicenced software on - put it back).

2. He scraped off the windows 7 licence sticker and chucked it. (Nice one mate - now I cant prove its genuine).

So its becoming obvious, hes taken it apart had no idea what hes doing, stuck a new graphics card in it, upgraded it, cant get it working and now expects me to take it back as it is. Must admit at the back of my mind I'm wondering if hes screwed it up fitting new gpu.

Despite me asking he hasnt commented yet on what happens when to puts original card back in.

Tell you what there are some right bellends out there. I aint argos and I dont have a 14 day exchange policy. I'm not a complete tosser and would have taken it back but to think you can rip it to pieces install what you want then get a refund it beyond.

Latest just text me now. Hes lost the licence sticker and cant get windows 7 installed on it. Can he bring it back and I sort it?

Yeh right mate. I'll spend an hour of my time getting it back to how it was! And anyway I didnt note the licence key down and you've lost it now!

The answer you were looking for was 'No'!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Balls to that, he can go whistle
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Not cut out to be a contractor, not cut out to sell old kit on eBay.

Get the wife to show you how to use the hoover and get yourself back on JSA

You're not cut out to leave the house !!
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          The answer you were looking for was 'No'!
          Yeh. Didnt want to be a complete nob about it and was willing to take it back - rather than have loads of texts off him saying this isnt working that itsnt working etc.

But every time I find out more info Im thinking WTF.

Only trouble is ebay/paypal pretty much wont stick up for the seller. If he puts in a claim and proves he sent it back Im screwed - they'll just refund him - despite what state its in.

Heard stories of people allegedly returning mobile phones. Pack out the box with stones - as long as you've got a return postage receipt paypal will force a refund. Wont listen to seller when they tell them that the parcel did not contain the phone.

Comment

Yeh. Didnt want to be a complete nob.
            Why change old habits?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              Not cut out to be a contractor, not cut out to sell old kit on eBay.

Get the wife to show you how to use the hoover and get yourself back on JSA

You're not cut out to leave the house !!
              LOL. I dont make a habit of it. But it was a half-decent PC and it was cluttering up the house. Only got £200 for it though,

Which is why I just wanted it gone and not spend ages arguing with some bellend.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Why change old habits?
                I reckon it was you who came to my house and bought it to be honest!

Comment

LOL. I dont make a habit of it. But it was a half-decent PC and it was cluttering up the house. Only got £200 for it though,

Which is why I just wanted it gone and not spend ages arguing with some bellend.
                  Being serious for a minute, NEVER allow a paypal payment on a collected item EVER.

When a buyer wants to collect, it's cash on collection.

I'll leave you to work out why
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    Being serious for a minute, NEVER allow a paypal payment on a collected item EVER.

When a buyer wants to collect, it's cash on collection.

I'll leave you to work out why
                    Yeh. Cos he can say he never collected/recieved. I did make him sign a receipt saying it had been collected.

Trouble is ebay will force you to offer paypal as a payment option. There is no choice these days. If buyer wants to pay cash, you have to offer it.

Comment

Working...
                    X