• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should school refuse boy leave for mum's wedding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should school refuse boy leave for mum's wedding?

BBC News - Shropshire school refuses boy leave for mum's wedding

A nine-year-old boy has been refused leave from school to attend his mother's wedding.

Claire Whitelegg, who is getting married in Cornwall on Tuesday, asked Clive School in Shropshire if her son could be absent for three days.

Should the school refuse boy leave for mum's wedding?
    Yes
    35.29%
    No
    55.88%
    Only if the boy is AndyW and I am going to be his new father-out-law
    8.82%

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    BBC News - Shropshire school refuses boy leave for mum's wedding

A nine-year-old boy has been refused leave from school to attend his mother's wedding.

Claire Whitelegg, who is getting married in Cornwall on Tuesday, asked Clive School in Shropshire if her son could be absent for three days.

Should the school refuse boy leave for mum's wedding?
    Ours makes it clear it won't allow time off for weddings. Mother could presumably have planned to get married in the holidays.

Edit: Now read it - apparently she couldn't

If the police won't give you three days off to get married, why should the school?
    Last edited by mudskipper; 23 June 2014, 14:37.

Comment

We finally got authorisation for MIL's funeral two days after the event...

Comment

Generally, schools will allow absences for exceptional circumstances - a funeral should fit into that, but a wedding probably wouldn't.

Ultimately, it's not the school that sets the policy, it's the local authority, who are following the DfE guidelines.

IIRC, though, you can miss ten sessions of school before they can fine you, which would have covered the three days (assuming the child hasn't had many absences in the year already).
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It's a bit tight in this example but it's got to be one rule for all and it has to be followed to the letter. If it isn't then it will just be mayhem with everyone thinking their situation is different leading to inconsistencies in the approvals. Someone will always be trying to push the boundaries and reporting it to the papers etc.

This bit struck me though

"On 16 June 2014 we received an application for a pupil leave of absence from 23 to 25 June.

"The school has a very clear open door policy so that parents and staff can always have a conversation about the needs of children and I would have been happy to talk to the parents about this request if they had come to see me."
          I read in to it they put a standard application in, got refused and then went crying to the papers instead of coming in to school to discuss it. As with all of these stories I am sure is tons of stuff not reported. Is he an underachiever, is he regularly off school, is this just another request after a string of others? If you went it to school and had a discussion I am sure the outcome wouldn't be so black and white. No sympathy for them if they can't go and speak to the school.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's utterly ridiculous how small minded some institutions are. I'm sure someone is ready to blame the EU for this. If I had jobsworth punchbag I'd windmilling it all day long. These people

Oooossssha.

Life is not forever, get out there and relish it. Given the high standard of England's education system one wonders what life skills wee Jimmy will miss in his three day absence.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It's a bit tight in this example but it's got to be one rule for all and it has to be followed to the letter..
              Communist.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Does it really take three days to get married?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Life is not forever, get out there and relish it. Given the high standard of England's education system one wonders what life skills wee Jimmy will miss in his three day absence.
                  It is things that he will need to build on in future lessons so unless his parents (or teachers) are willing to step up and cover it he could suffer for it for a very long time.

If a teacher had to step up to catch up every pupil that had a couple of days off they wouldn't have time to do their job. Bottom line is they can't help, they just don't have the time unless the schooling of the other kids is degraded.

It's possible the parents may step up and school him in which case no problems but this won't happen with kids that are already struggling through lack of parental involvement. It's got to be one rule for all.

What does a kid understand about life is forever? Get him educated and then he can live it.

All these reasons are why going in to a school to discuss should help.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Does it really take three days to get married?
                    Probably a day to get there, a day to get married and a day to come back.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X