• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spot-a-Lot

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot-a-Lot

Or how to keep a back seat full of nephews and nieces entertained while bowling down the A30 en route to the Lizard Peninsula.

It's an old game I had as a girl and I dug it out of the attic last week. I don't know if anyone remembers it but its a board game in which players progress by moving their magnetic pieces around the board until the first one reaches the end. Number of places moved depends on points scored and there is no order of play. Each player has a card with 4 categories ranging from 1 point up to 12 points and in each category are detailed several things that one may be likely to observe from the window of a car, such as a horse or a tractor. When a player spots one of the items on his card, he gets to move his piece the number of places corresponding to the points scored.

What did strike me, though, was how things have changed in terms of what one observes through the window of a car. For example, on my card I had phone box in the 2 point category and windmill in the 12 point category. I had to change the rules or it would have been game over as soon as we were on Bodmin Moor!

I used to love that game - but unfortunately the kids of today have somewhat more exotic tastes and it wasn't long before the game was packed away before anyone had finished and the play boys and DVD players were out.

They did indulge their aunty for a while though, bless them!

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    Or how to keep a back seat full of nephews and nieces entertained while bowling down the A30 en route to the Lizard Peninsula.

It's an old game I had as a girl and I dug it out of the attic last week. I don't know if anyone remembers it but its a board game in which players progress by moving their magnetic pieces around the board until the first one reaches the end. Number of places moved depends on points scored and there is no order of play. Each player has a card with 4 categories ranging from 1 point up to 12 points and in each category are detailed several things that one may be likely to observe from the window of a car, such as a horse or a tractor. When a player spots one of the items on his card, he gets to move his piece the number of places corresponding to the points scored.

What did strike me, though, was how things have changed in terms of what one observes through the window of a car. For example, on my card I had phone box in the 2 point category and windmill in the 12 point category. I had to change the rules or it would have been game over as soon as we were on Bodmin Moor!

I used to love that game - but unfortunately the kids of today have somewhat more exotic tastes and it wasn't long before the game was packed away before anyone had finished and the play boys and DVD players were out.

Really??

Other than that... do you know Wilmslow?

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
      Really??

Other than that... do you know Wilmslow?
      Game boys I meant... Freudian slip lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post

Mild churns 'n' hay stacks. Don't see them any more.

Comment

What wrong with...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
          X