• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£50k is sure sign of success

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£50k is sure sign of success

Men need to earn about £50,000 a year before women consider them to be wealthy and successful, a survey has revealed.

One in ten women have higher expectations, looking for a salary of more than £100,000, according to National Savings and Investments (NS&I). In contrast, men think women on about £42,000 a year tick the wealthy and successful boxes.

In reality, men take home an average of £1,490.80 a month compared to women's £1,078.80.

Some 45 per cent of women say they rate a healthy bank balance as their top priority when looking for a partner compared with 22 per cent of men. They also expect men to have a large stash of ready money to fall back on, with expectations of around £24,000 in savings, while men expect their partner to have built up about £15,000 in the bank.

Despite the differences in expectations, 64 per cent of the 3,081 people surveyed said that financial security was important to the success of the relationship. Only 14 per cent said money did not matter at all.

The study also revealed the average Briton has set aside a total of £17,271 excluding their pension contributions. Men have an average of £20,335 squirreled away compared with women's £14,167.

Despite the cost of summer holidays and rising inflation, people still managed to save an average of £87.85 a month between June and August, equating to 6.8 per cent of the average income.

The 54 per cent of people who put money aside on a regular basis are saving an average of £174.50 a month, a 10.3 per cent rise from the same period last year as the message to save more for the future hits home.

Dax Harkins, senior savings strategist at NS&I, said: "The good news is that savings levels continue to rise although the percentage of regular savers remains relatively static. We would like to see more people putting money away on a regular basis as part of a more disciplined approach to saving.

"Our findings also show that finances form a very important part of relationship dynamics and this is reflected in the expectations people have, both in terms of salary and savings levels. Maybe people do believe they can buy happiness after all."
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Presumably the moral of the story is forget your condom just take a few bank statements.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
      Some 45 per cent of women say they rate a healthy bank balance as their top priority when looking for a partner
      Doesn't work for me.

When you are ancient, over-weight and unsightly like me, it out-weighs wealth.

Also, as Andyw pointed out, I have incontinent stains on my trousers and I dribble on my shirts. That puts them off too.
      Blair, you cannot reach me now,
      No matter how you try,
      Goodbye cruel Labour,
      Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

I find that women are all over my obese, lardy body, coz I earn £5 million p.a.

Threaded.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Just to clarify, p.a. is an abbreviation for per atosecond.

Threaded.

Comment

And final correction (as if it was not obvious) - its the women who pay me, this makes up good part of £5 mln.

threaded.

Comment

If the survey asked about looks, many men would give similarly unrealistic ratings of what they regarded as attractive. That doesn't mean they won't shag/marry the 95% of females who don't meet that standard.

Women may regard a £50,000 income as the benchmark of a "wealthy and successful" man, but it doesn't follow that most are going to hold out for that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                Presumably the moral of the story is forget your condom just take a few bank statements.

So very true...
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Surley Gold digging bitches like this will get banged than dropped like a stone.

Comment

Yes, I can vouch for that.
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X