• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie to contract same company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie to contract same company

Hi,

I have been a permie with the same company for 12 years but I've handed in my notice and so will be finishing at the end of July. There maybe an option available for me to return working on a large migration project but on a contract basis.

Am I right in thinking that if I go with an umbrella company working inside ir35 then there won't be other legal/taxation issues for either me or my employer?

Thanks for any feedback!
    roach

Originally posted by roach View Post
    Hi,

I have been a permie with the same company for 12 years but I've handed in my notice and so will be finishing at the end of July. There maybe an option available for me to return working on a large migration project but on a contract basis.

Am I right in thinking that if I go with an umbrella company working inside ir35 then there won't be other legal/taxation issues for either me or my employer?

Thanks for any feedback!
    roach
    Yep, IR35 is the major hurdle, but if you accept you're inside, then there shouldn't be any issues.

Comment

Can it and go contracting properly. If its going to be a long gig you are going to lose more money than if you went LTD at a new client.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Can it and go contracting properly. If its going to be a long gig you are going to lose more money than if you went LTD at a new client.
        Only if there is a gig at a new client on the cards. You should still make more than if you were a permie, and it gets the first contract gig under your belt without any downtime, and makes finding the 2nd gig easier as the pimps will see a contractor and not a disillusioned permie.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

But he will still be a disillusioned permie.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            it gets the first contract gig under your belt without any downtime, and makes finding the 2nd gig easier as the pimps will see a contractor and not a disillusioned permie.
            But its all at the same place.. more than 12 years.
            Agents are going to look at that and say, contractor? er.. yeah right.

Comment

Good points, thanks.

I maybe having an interview at another place but it would mean staying away, but I could go ltd then and stay outside. Thinking this is the best option if I really want to bite the bullet and join you lot.
              Last edited by roach; 25 June 2014, 07:09.

Comment

Originally posted by roach View Post
                Hi,

Thanks for any feedback!
                roach
                If you go umbrella then IR35 isn't applicable, as all income is salary.

If you set up a limited company you can trade inside IR35 or outside IR35. Declaring yourself inside IR35 means paying 95% of your income as salary so it is still slightly more tax efficient than using an umbrella company, provided it's a long enough contract to cover the fees involved in setting up and running a company.
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                  If you go umbrella then IR35 isn't applicable, as all income is salary.

If you set up a limited company you can trade inside IR35 or outside IR35. Declaring yourself inside IR35 means paying 95% of your income as salary so it is still slightly more tax efficient than using an umbrella company, provided it's a long enough contract to cover the fees involved in setting up and running a company.
                  Plus your own company isn't going to do a runner with your money, which umbrellas have a habit of doing.

Plus if you have a disagreement with an agency, you control what action to take rather than needing to persuade an employer that they should take action.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What complicates matters is that my boss reckons he will only give me an equivalent rate to what I'm currently on as a permie, even though we've got quite a few contractors here on standard contractor rates! This he says is to prevent opening the flood gates for other permies to follow suit.

Comment

Working...
                    X