• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tools for finding cheapest dates for train travel?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tools for finding cheapest dates for train travel?

Several airlines and 3rd-party sites will let you put in travel dates, and show you a grid of cheapest flights each day +/-3 days around that date. Does anything like that exist for train travel?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

National Rail Enquiries - Journey Planner

Comment

The clever tricks involve journey / ticket splitting but I'm not sure where to look for that.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        The clever tricks involve journey / ticket splitting but I'm not sure where to look for that.
        I'm sure I've seen something like this on redspottedhanky
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide...

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

MoneySavingExpert have a tool for this but you have to already know the exact journey you want to take.

I found one site which claimed to let you be flexible but all the prices it claimed to find were sold out. XC have (recently I think) added an "I'm flexible" option but only on certain routes.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              MoneySavingExpert have a tool for this but you have to already know the exact journey you want to take.

I found one site which claimed to let you be flexible but all the prices it claimed to find were sold out. XC have (recently I think) added an "I'm flexible" option but only on certain routes.
              Did you even check out my link .

Comment

Matt Somerville has created a tool just for that, but National Rail's site has been blocking his site's API requests. However the National Rail Twitter account has said this is something they're trying to fix. (I know all this because I was going to post a link to his site, and I find it through his Twitter account: @dracos.) I'll post a link once I'm sure it's back up on a long term basis

EDIT: he has approval from National Rail for his split-finder, so it's purely a ****up at their end that's keeping his site offline at the moment.
                Last edited by NickFitz; 24 June 2014, 22:56.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Did you even check out my link .
                  Not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Not yet.
                    Right. It's your own time you're wasting

Comment

Working...
                    X