• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linked In

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked In

So I get the fact the recruitment agents I have never met or interacted with want to connect with me on LI as its a business enabling tool, fine. But recently I have had techies who I don't know from Adam trying to connect with me, question is why? It serves no purpose and if I don't know you there is no chance I will accept so again why bother?!?

Originally posted by kal View Post
    So I get the fact the recruitment agents I have never met or interacted with want to connect with me on LI as its a business enabling tool, fine. But recently I have had techies who I don't know from Adam trying to connect with me, question is why? It serves no purpose and if I don't know you there is no chance I will accept so again why bother?!?
    Why not ask them?

You don't have to accept their invite to answer their request. Some of these contacts have opportunities, I am having a second interview with one on Friday.

Comment

There is a growing trend of random blokes from India, china and am seeing some from Africa, asking to connect giving no reason whatsoever and some of these people are not in the same industry at all.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

This. If you don't know them don't accept

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          There is a growing trend of random blokes from India, china and am seeing some from Africa, asking to connect giving no reason whatsoever and some of these people are not in the same industry at all.
          Of course there is a low level of due diligence to be applied before rejecting contact requests out of hand

Comment

See now I am the other way, I will happy accept anyone who wants to Link with me, why because you never know what could happen, higher visibility to people who might be useful for you, also if you link with people in a similar field you can keep an eye on the competition, see what they are commenting on, posting etc.

A few key settings to make sure you only share what you want people to see, keep it professional (no like if you are a genius type updates) and I don't see any problem with it.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

+1 I had one bob agent ask to not reply if i rejected his request as LinkedIn would ban him for spamming users otherwise

Comment

You see the job postings on there? Some USA'ian posts ASKING for any roles in say, Houston, TX and then 300 Bobs jump on saying they're interested in the post and will they sponsor visa and accommodation...

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  See now I am the other way, I will happy accept anyone who wants to Link with me, why because you never know what could happen, higher visibility to people who might be useful for you, also if you link with people in a similar field you can keep an eye on the competition, see what they are commenting on, posting etc.

A few key settings to make sure you only share what you want people to see, keep it professional (no like if you are a genius type updates) and I don't see any problem with it.
                  I will accept within reason, but if you're some random person with no experience, no connections in some country I have nothing to do with or an industry I'll never work in, then you might get a no.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I will accept within reason, but if you're some random person with no experience, no connections in some country I have nothing to do with or an industry I'll never work in, then you might get a no.
                    Maybe my profile pictures isn't pretty enough to get complete spam contacts
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X