• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ban all drinks but water?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ban all drinks but water?

Ban all drinks but water from dinner table, parents told - Telegraph

Anyone really believe the proles will listen to sensible advice, which might do something towards stopping kids disrupting classes?

Why not impose a ban on advertising and a 1000% tax on sugary drinks?
    Yes - I am normal
    28.57%
    No - I am a prole
    38.10%
    AndyW had too many sugary drinks
    33.33%

The article I read talked about banning fruit juices at mealtimes.

Are they on about freshly squeezed juices? Juices made from concentrates? Or squash?

There is a difference. I always had orange squash with meals - about an inch in the bottom of the glass, the rest made up with water. Hardly going to make you fat

Probably not so good on the old chippers though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post

Are they on about freshly squeezed juices? Juices made from concentrates? Or squash?

There is a difference. I always had orange squash with meals - about an inch in the bottom of the glass, the rest made up with water. Hardly going to make you fat

From the headline of article :-
      Britain's war on obesity must start by consigning sugary drinks to special occasions, the government's chief obesity adviser has said

Comment

She was on sky news there, had a face like fizz.

Anyways, I wonder how long it will be before kids are dropping like flies due to malnutrition, parents are now trying to remove all sugar from their children's diet. The message should be as ever take as much sugar as In the RDAs and no more, not stop taking it.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Anyways, I wonder how long it will be before kids are dropping like flies due to malnutrition, parents are now trying to remove all sugar from their children's diet. The message should be as ever take as much sugar as In the RDAs and no more, not stop taking it.
          And how do you expect thick people to know what what an RDA is, let alone bother to interact with their children or give them any sort of useful advice?

People cannot behave sensibly so they need a little nudge. 1000% tax should do it. If not make it 10000%

Comment

Aye but then there's the other side of the coin where parents allow young kids to drink energy drinks similar to Red Bull surely that's no good for a small child, I certainly wouldn't allow my daughter to do that. Whenever we go out for a meal I ask her what she would like to drink and she replies water as her school and we as her parents have told about just how much sugar there are in soft drinks and how bad they are for her teeth etc.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post

An inch of pure syrup. Ugh, you like your squash way too strong!

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

You do not need to eat anything which has sugar added to meet your RDA - and an RDA for sugar is your maximum not your goal. There is no way in which Coke forms part of a balanced diet.

We used to view pop as a treat when I was a kid and that wasn't even long ago. But that's probably because it cost money and my parents were tight!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                You do not need to eat anything which has sugar added to meet your RDA - and an RDA for sugar is your maximum not your goal. There is no way in which Coke forms part of a balanced diet.
                You clearly have no clue what you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  From the headline of article :-
                  Britain's war on obesity must start by consigning sugary drinks to special occasions, the government's chief obesity adviser has said
                  I think I mentioned thus in another post but when I look around me I see people the sane size and shape as I always have. That said, I live in a middle class rural area. Its the places of high welfare dependency where they're all waddling around with zimmer frames.

We need to get these people back to work. That is a far harder task than tackling the obesity which is a mere symptom of our social malaise.

As for our obesity tsar, maybe he/she should be focusing his/her efforts on poor areas rather than wagging His/her
                  finger from the columns of the Telegraph where the message is hardly going to reach its target.

Comment

I see they say that low fat milk is OK.

School gives out semi-skimmed milk to kids from age 4. If it is OK with the government I'll carry on giving my kids full fat milk as they could both do with some extra weight, and one of them in particular is underweight.

I guess it's about simple public health messages, like no booze at all for pregnant women.
                    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
                    X