• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minor modern annoyances

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minor modern annoyances

I'm sure we've done this one, and not long ago, but here goes:

Google anticipating search results as one types but, for fast typists like me, a few letters later whisking away a perfect briefly glimpsed result which it then never shows again!

Loo hot air hand dryers, like the ones at clientco, that sound like a giant circular saw ripping through a ten foot thick mahogany log

People who stand there drying their hands under them for anything up to half a minute or more

.. after already using a paper towel
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 26 June 2014, 16:20.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Google anticipating search results as one types but, for fast typists like me, a few letters later whisking away a perfect briefly glimpsed result which it then never shows again!
    Agree

Loo hot air hand dryers, like the ones at clientco, that sound like a giant circular saw ripping through a ten foot thick mahogany log
    Agree

People who stand there drying their hands under them for anything up to half a minute or more

Who does that? You just use enough paper towels until your hands are dry.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Tivo box

It will insist on storing random tulip and there is no way to switch it off or train it (the three thumbs down button is ignored repeatedly)

You have to delete all the tulip it stores one by one, there is no nuke button

Comment

Sauce packets that go wonky when you pull them open, with the two tears drifting apart, so you end up with sauce everywhere except where it is supposed to go!

I'm typing this with sticky fingers for that very reason!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Sauce packets that go wonky when you pull them open, with the two tears drifting apart, so you end up with sauce everywhere except where it is supposed to go!

I'm typing this with sticky fingers for that very reason!
          But of course you are

Comment

Apparently Google's rather annoying for kids revising for their Latin GCSEs and trying to find the latin term for 'with ...' while their mum's next to them.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'm just warming them up after coming in on the bike!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Yup. The Google thing is irritating.

And the handdryer in the bog here is easily in the 95dB to 100dB range. Ear defenders recommended before use.
                The one we have here is the opposite, your hands would dry quicker if an elf blew on them.
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I worked at a utility customer contact centre once and one of the guys there used to enter the bog at 1645 every single day and spend exactly 14 minutes washing and drying his hands and then at 1 min to 5, he exited the building - every single goddamned day!!! Why his manager didn't do anything about it I have no idea.

Comment

Siri is saying" I'm really sorry about this, but I can't take any request right now. Please try again in a little while."
                    When I've got a full signal

Comment

Working...
                    X