• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blonde moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blonde moment

You do have to wonder when an agency questions your time sheet hours.
    I put an invoice in for 166.5 hours work as I bill monthly. The accounts girl thought I was trying to put through 166:50 hours. She said it doesn't add up to the same amount on your invoice, and that I need to correct my mistake.
    It was only when I pointed out that 0:30 minuets is 0.5 of an hour unit, then the penny dropped

I had a similar thing with a client telling me my timesheet didn't add up. I pointed out that the agency, for reasons that remain unclear, specifically required that the individual days on the timesheet were given in hours and minutes (e.g. 7:30), while the total figure shown at the foot of the column had to be in decimal (e.g. 37.25)

Comment

It's about time they decimalised time really.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        It's about time they decimalised time really.
        Andersen Consulting (before they became Accenture) used to have timesheets down to tenths of an hour.

Comment

Mars electronics in Reading has a clock that reads 100 decimal minutes to each hour. So 4:30 is not half past four. It is used for clocking in and out and keeping track of flexitime.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I had a similar thing with a client telling me my timesheet didn't add up. I pointed out that the agency, for reasons that remain unclear, specifically required that the individual days on the timesheet were given in hours and minutes (e.g. 7:30), while the total figure shown at the foot of the column had to be in decimal (e.g. 37.25)
            I've used timesheet systems like that.

Some timesheet systems are so awful to use that this niggle pales into insignificance.

We can blame lawyers for timesheets

Last edited by Sysman; 28 June 2014, 10:40.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I use milestones.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                I use milestones.
                It's ages since I've seen milestones mentioned.

Apart from a project management course 4 years ago it takes me back to the early 80s.

Comment

I requested an overnight bank transfer the other week, and wrote the amount on the FAX as "twelve hundred".

An hour later I had a phone call from someone at the bank, and it turned out he and his colleagues were all totally mystified by this.

They suspected it might be the same as "one thousand two hundred", but just wanted to check!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    I requested an overnight bank transfer the other week, and wrote the amount on the FAX as "twelve hundred".

An hour later I had a phone call from someone at the bank, and it turned out he and his colleagues were all totally mystified by this.

They suspected it might be the same as "one thousand two hundred", but just wanted to check!
                    I have run into this sort of thing. I use "hundred" for anything up to 1900 but would say "three thousand four hundred" instead of "thirty four hundred".

I have found that many Brits don't understand "triple three" in a part number, insisting on "three double three" (or do I mean "double three, three"?).
                    Last edited by Sysman; 28 June 2014, 13:52.

Comment

Working...
                    X