• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fuel and meal expenses on commercial card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel and meal expenses on commercial card

Hi, I have a newly formed limited company (myself the only employee) and could use some advise as I am very inexperienced. I worked away from home last week and paid for meals and petrol on my business commercial credit card. I have since realised this wasn't very wise!
    I was going to claim my mileage back from my company at 45p a mile - can I still do this? Also, what do I do about the meals - can I claim these back from my company?

Many thanks in advance

Get yourself an accountant.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Welcome!

You'll find a lot of answers to your questions within the CUK website.

On the right you'll find CUK Navigation. >>>>>>>>>

Look down and you'll come to the First Timers section. Have a read through there.

Basic expenses questions answered here: Contractor Expenses - How to claim Travel and other expenses via Limited Company or Umbrella

Then pay particular attention to IR35.

And here are the rules when using company credit cards: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/exb/a-z/c/cards.htm

If you go into the Accounting/Legal forum you'll discover the thread Basic advice when running your own contractor business.

Guide to Contracts also has some good articles.

And finally - accountant recommendations - Ta-da!

Happy reading!
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Repay the petrol to the company, and purchase it privately next time, if you are going down mileage route - generally this is beneficial.

The meals on the card should be fine subject to 24 month rule; there is a lot of detail on HMRC site about what you can and can't do, eg can you have a drink with the meal, but it boils down to common sense and not abusing the situation.

Comment

As above. Paying for your lunch, assuming they are valid subsistence expenses (i.e. Whilst working at a temporary work place) is fine and putting it on the company card just means one less thing to reimburse.

BUT, it's still a reportable expense and needs to go on your P11d at the end of the year. The only question is in which box; normally travel related expenses go in box N but there is also a box for expenses paid on a company provided credit card that it might go in instead. Ask your accountant.

Do what Jessica says re: petrol.

Comment

HM Revenue & Customs: Expenses and benefits A to Z
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
            X