• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV volume

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV volume

I know it has been mentioned before, but it is becoming almost impossible to watch TV without having the remote near to hand to turn the volume down during adverts, and up during the actual programs....

Anybody know of a way of levelling out the volume...? It's getting silly.....
    Vieze Oude Man

Do they still do that in the UK? I know that it's for real; it's in the broadcasting acts. But I thought they stopped doing it a few years ago because it's not allowed in Europe etc.

As for a solution - you must be joking! It's a conspiracy between the advertisers, broadcasters and TV manufactures. They won’t allow the viewers to edit out the advertisements – the whole economic basis of broadcasting would collapse!
    Blair, you cannot reach me now,
    No matter how you try,
    Goodbye cruel Labour,
    Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

They're not actually louder, just that the sound is compressed which makes it appear louder. I know this doesn't help, just saying...
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

CP and CB.... firstly yep, it still happens in the UK....

Secondly, yep, I have seen explanations about the compression of sound levels meaning that adverts / announcements are 'louder'... but surely there must be a way to flatten this out...?

One minute you are watching a program at normal volume, the next minute, you are assaulted by sound as an advert or announcement takes over...

And, it has to be said, I do not remember this sort of problem when I was younger (cue comments about senility etc .. )
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

My in-laws have a TV which seems to solve this problem. They enjoy all programmes and adverts at the same 150db. You can almost feel the speakers screaming for mercy.
          It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Adverts use compression technology to enhance the volume of the advert.

What you need is a limiter - a piece of hardware that limits/compresses the volume of the sound to a certain level. I use it when playing guitar/bass to keep a consistant sound level to compensate for poor playing ability...
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd

And, it has to be said, I do not remember this sort of problem when I was younger (cue comments about senility etc .. )
              Actually, that should be the opposite, at least for me, volume is never enough (at least when watching movies or playing fifa). I do expect to be extradited for acoustic pollution and a full page on Sun on how immigrants from EU are devasting the peacefulness of this country with that.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Even better - there's **** all on telly. Just download the good bits of bittorrent and use Front Row or the windows equivalent: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/frontrow.html
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I must admit to riding my eMule quite hard ( ) now I have an unmetered, all ports open 19 Mb connection (tweaked 16Mb using DMT tool on a Speedtough 585).

Most of the TV is watch is either movies - especially now Film Four is free - or the History Channel, news. Thinking about turning one of my pcs into a media center.
                  Last edited by mcquiggd; 3 September 2006, 10:16.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Sounds like an ideal connection for SKA...

Comment

Working...
                    X