• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One of us, one of us

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of us, one of us

After a ridiculously petty “Permanent staff only milk” encounter today, I felt compiled to write this. Perhaps one of the things you email to yourself and delete? Time will tell.

I don’t mind saying, I got into contracting exclusively for the money. After doing it now for 3 gigs and just under a year, I have come to the conclusion that I would struggle to go back “Permie”, and would probably carry on Contracting even if the remuneration was the same.

The fact that I can lock my computer at 16:00 on the dot and bugger off, with no hint of guilt is fantastic. In my admittedly short tenure I have never been invited to a conference call or a meeting which has been nothing but totally productive. I have clear objectives and am given the equipment and access I need to complete them. Up until now I have been the most experienced person on site in my field and it feels great to impart my knowledge where I can.

So in short “**** your milk, I’m off home while you browse job sites and wait for a redundancy package that will never come”

And relax…

Take a photo and put it into your IR35 evidence file. And then buy your own milk, you tight bastard!

To be honest, I've never really understood the bitterness on either side. When I was a permie I always got on well with contractors and now I'm a contractor, I've had nothing but help from permies.

Mind you, on the other hand, I do find that the contract programming world looks very different to contract infrastructure. No one is ever going to employ someone full time to spend a couple of months putting in a new system so perhaps there's less competition and animosity on my side.
    Last edited by vwdan; 30 June 2014, 12:45.

Comment

Non issue - just buy some milk.

Be happy.

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
        Non issue - just buy some milk.

Be happy.

And make sure it's Cravendale or some other organic tulip that puts makes their Tesco milk look cheapskate.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          And make sure it's Cravendale or some other organic tulip that puts makes their Tesco milk look cheapskate.
          +1

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Hahahaha that's the spirit, people ask me why I buy coffee from Carluccio's in the morning rather than make a cup in the kitchen. I always tell them that if I did and another contractor found out I'd be kicked out of the contractor club for being cheap
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
              After a ridiculously petty “Permanent staff only milk” encounter today, I felt compiled to write this. Perhaps one of the things you email to yourself and delete? Time will tell.

I don’t mind saying, I got into contracting exclusively for the money. After doing it now for 3 gigs and just under a year, I have come to the conclusion that I would struggle to go back “Permie”, and would probably carry on Contracting even if the remuneration was the same.

The fact that I can lock my computer at 16:00 on the dot and bugger off, with no hint of guilt is fantastic. In my admittedly short tenure I have never been invited to a conference call or a meeting which has been nothing but totally productive. I have clear objectives and am given the equipment and access I need to complete them. Up until now I have been the most experienced person on site in my field and it feels great to impart my knowledge where I can.

So in short “**** your milk, I’m off home while you browse job sites and wait for a redundancy package that will never come”

And relax…
              This is how Microsoft 'bloatware' came about - steer clear of dairy products and you will be a much leaner, meaner piece of code

Comment

Get a bottle of decent champagne ever invoice day and leave it in the fridge over the afternoon.

tulip like that winds them up no end.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
                  The fact that I can lock my computer at 16:00 on the dot and bugger off, with no hint of guilt is fantastic
                  I'm not sure that's a contractor/permie thing.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

ooh very petty.

I would buy some high class freshly ground superb smelling coffee and milk and appropriate nicely decorative containers, good quality shiny stainless steel, with the label "Contractors Only".
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X