• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting from Hertfordshire to Canary Wharf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuting from Hertfordshire to Canary Wharf

Hi All,

I've been a visitor to the ContractorUK forum for a while and thought of asking a commuting question if that's ok.

I will be starting a new contract at Canary Wharf next week and will need to commute from the Hertford/Ware area and was wondering that the best approach might be.

There is a direct train from Hertford to Moorgate which I could take and then walk for 5 minutes to Bank station and take the DLR at Bank to Canary Wharf... the entire journey should take around 1 hour and 15 minutes. The other option is motorbike which is around 55 minutes or less.

I have heard that Bank station in the morning is very very busy and was wondering whether anyone who uses Bank station on a daily basis or has used recently could confirm whether this is the case. Is the crowd really too much even at 8 AM?

If anyone happens to commute from Hertfordshire I'd be keen to know your view too.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :-)

No clue about that particular route but welcome to the wharf!

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorOnAMotorbike View Post
      Hi All,

I've been a visitor to the ContractorUK forum for a while and thought of asking a commuting question if that's ok.

I will be starting a new contract at Canary Wharf next week and will need to commute from the Hertford/Ware area and was wondering that the best approach might be.

There is a direct train from Hertford to Moorgate which I could take and then walk for 5 minutes to Bank station and take the DLR at Bank to Canary Wharf... the entire journey should take around 1 hour and 15 minutes. The other option is motorbike which is around 55 minutes or less.

I have heard that Bank station in the morning is very very busy and was wondering whether anyone who uses Bank station on a daily basis or has used recently could confirm whether this is the case. Is the crowd really too much even at 8 AM?

If anyone happens to commute from Hertfordshire I'd be keen to know your view too.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :-)
      I've just done Bedford - Ken High St for 4 months, never did it in less than 1.5 and it was sometimes 2.5 (mostly in fact) I guess a lot depends on whether you get a fast, semi or slow mainline. My experience was though (and has been for over 15 yrs) that the overland part is easy, the underground is the nightmare unless you have an easy trip of a few stops. No exp of DLR though except for getting to Excel on the odd occasion.

Comment

Sounds like a reasonable route. Possibly look into change at Highbury & Islington and Overground to Canada Water.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

That will be a brisk walk, but then at least another 5 minutes getting from the street to the DLR platforms - they are directly underneath the northern line tunnels, which are pretty deep themselves.

Bank is like a maze, but once you get used to the layout (after a few wrong turns), it's not too bad. Here's the layout - you can see just how far the DLR platforms are away from the ticket hall.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/tub...-project.pdf-2

It might be quicker to catch a Southbound northern line train from Moorgate - as transiting from Northern Line platforms to DLR at Bank is easy. No idea to the frequency, or how crushed those trains are leaving Moorgate though.
          Last edited by centurian; 1 July 2014, 20:23.

Comment

To think I get to Farnborough from Leeds in a smidgen over three hours via Eastcoast/South West IF I get to Waterloo in time for the Brockenhurst train. Which I usually do...

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
              Sounds like a reasonable route. Possibly look into change at Highbury & Islington and Overground to Canada Water.
              If you go to Canada Water in rush hour you have nearly zero chance of getting on a tube to Canary Wharf.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Is the crowd really too much even at 8 AM?
                8am is one of the worse times to travel or change stations in London.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  If you go to Canada Water in rush hour you have nearly zero chance of getting on a tube to Canary Wharf.
                  Take the bus to Hilton hotel or walk to Rope St. then the ferry to Canary Wharf.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

its summer - bike it

Comment

Working...
                    X