• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Accident, responsibility accepted by the other party, repair arranged, Any catch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Accident, responsibility accepted by the other party, repair arranged, Any catch?

Hi Guys,

I had a minor car accident yesterday. A young chap got his car smashed into back of my car. I was stationary & waiting to enter a roundabout and this guy hit me from back. He was very apologetic & accepted it was his mistake. Police came & checked both car & informed both are insured. Not much damage but bumper might need repair work.

I am waiting this to be checked by dealer over weekend as my car is under warranty. I didn't inform my insurer yet as damage looks to be minimal & don't want to make any claims.

Today I got call form his Insurer (Alliance) and he told his client is taking responsibility of the accident. He will arrange repair with out affecting my insurance claims. Alliance is going to arrange mobile repairer to come and have a look to assess damage and then repair based on damage. He seems to be claiming no catch involved and my no claims will not be affected.

Any one had similar experience? What should I do? Will it affect my no-claims? Should I contact my insurer? Since it was minor damage I was planning to ignore it and not claim from my insurer to keep my no claims intact. How this system works? Please advice.

thanks

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    Please advice.
    advise.

Or

Advice, please.

Comment

YES inform your insurer even if it wasn't your fault as most policy's have a clause stating all incidents must be reported with in 24 hours.
      But you have nothing to worry about as they have accepted full liability.
      The only thing I would say is if needs repair you chose the company as they'll pick the cheapest.

Comment

This has happened to me twice.

Legally, you have a duty to inform your Insurer, who, if they are half decent, will register a "non-fault claim" in your name once they have been in contact with the other party's Insurer, and they accept liability.

Neither time has it affected my renewal and they were in 2 consecutive insurance years (Tesco Insurance).
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

A little bird once told me that if you are involved in an accident even if it is not your fault statistics show there is an increased probability of your being in further accidents. Your insurance company may adjust your premium to cater for this increased risk. Consequently I'd keep quiet.

I hope this is twaddle, but just in case, like.

Comment

Thanks Guys..

I had chat with other party's Insurer. He confirmed his client accepted responsibility/liability and this is going to be a 'No-Fault Accident . They arranged a mobile repairer to contact me. lets see..

Comment

Just wait for the Whiplash claims companies to hound you lol
              I had a call from one a few years ago saying they could get me £1000 compensation.
              I told them "I don't see how the other driver was a Tree"
              Last edited by CloudWalker; 1 July 2014, 15:36.

Comment

Allianz or Alliance ?

One is a major insurance company. The other isn't. This probably has a bearing going forward

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
                  A little bird once told me that if you are involved in an accident even if it is not your fault statistics show there is an increased probability of your being in further accidents. Your insurance company may adjust your premium to cater for this increased risk. Consequently I'd keep quiet.

I hope this is twaddle, but just in case, like.
                  It's possibly true, but there is a catch in this case. You're meant to declare every accident (Check the question wording) regardless of damage or a claim. Now, obviously, if neither the Police or anybodies insurance are involved then your insurers going forwards will never know - however, as the 3rd Party has reported it he absolutely needs to aswell. So, there's absolutely no downside with getting the car fixed by other insurer because he already needs to declare it as a no fault claim.

Comment

Once their insurance is involved, contact yours and let them sort it out. I had someone bump into me last year, but we agreed to keep the insurance companies out of it and he paid up for the damage.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X