Jim Mellon - Pro Brexit Jim Mellon - Pro Brexit - Page 7
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 61 to 70 of 110
  1. #61

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    13,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    You keep saying this without quite appreciating that:

    a) The UK is major part of the EU, so very much a part of the problem if there is one;
    b) Greece can, as a sovereign nation, walk away at any time. Perhaps they consider themselves to be better off in the EU, rather than out of it?
    Indeed this is the big flaw in the Eurosceptic argument. Greeks know they made their own mess and they need to get out of it. If the EU had caused their huge problems they would have left.

    Argentina and Brazil did similar things, being in the EU doesn't stop governments overspending. The IMF imposed harsh austerity measures on Argentina. When you need a bailout loan it won't come for free.
    I'm alright Jack

  2. #62

    Super poster

    woohoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the country
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Indeed this is the big flaw in the Eurosceptic argument. Greeks know they made their own mess and they need to get out of it. If the EU had caused their huge problems they would have left.

    Argentina and Brazil did similar things, being in the EU doesn't stop governments overspending. The IMF imposed harsh austerity measures on Argentina. When you need a bailout loan it won't come for free.
    Germany and French banks have been the main beneficiaries of the bailout. Most of the money went straight to them. Their irresponsible lending had no consequences at all. The fact they could have brought the entire financial system down because of their lending to a country the size of Greece is unbelievable.

    The level of austerity imposed on Greece for the last 10 years and for the decades to come is unbelievably harsh and is politically driven. There just isnt a chance in hell they can meet the EU targets for budge surplus, privatisation etc. It just isnt going to happen. So what more austerity for Greece?

    How is Greece supposed to invest or modernise it's economy? Any money it can borrow will go to paying back the EU. It's own banks are unwilling to lend. What happens if there is a recession.

    It needs a significant part of the debt to be written off, otherwise it will struggle for decades under huge austerity levels. The EU could help with this straightaway. But it won't.

    But yeah in your mind that's fine, their own mess. Your an idiot and I'm done with you.

  3. #63

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    16,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    But yeah in your mind that's fine, their own mess. Your an idiot and I'm done with you.
    Will you be deleting your profile?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

  4. #64

    Super poster

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    It needs a significant part of the debt to be written off, otherwise it will struggle for decades under huge austerity levels. The EU could help with this straightaway. But it won't.
    You misunderstand me.

    When I say the U.K. is a major part of the EU and therefore, if there is a problem, it is part of the problem, I mean the EU and not German or French banks.

    You say, “the EU could help with this straightaway”. The U.K. is part of the EU. We are on the council, have more MEPs per capita than most other countries, etc. We could do something, lobby, whatever.

    Assuming the debt is with “the EU”, of course. Otherwise “the EU” is in no position to write it off.

  5. #65

    Super poster

    Whorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Germany and French banks have been the main beneficiaries of the bailout.
    <snip>
    The EU is NOT Germany and France (here's a clue, there are currently 28 members of the EU, soon to be 27)

    French and German banks are NOT France and Germany

    That's like saying HSBC is Hong Kong, or Tipton and Coseley Building Society is the UK

    You leavers really do like to mix up facts to try and create your little fantasy narrative
    I may not know Karate, but I know crazy and I'm not afraid to use it

  6. #66

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    13,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Germany and French banks have been the main beneficiaries of the bailout. Most of the money went straight to them. Their irresponsible lending had no consequences at all. The fact they could have brought the entire financial system down because of their lending to a country the size of Greece is unbelievable.

    The level of austerity imposed on Greece for the last 10 years and for the decades to come is unbelievably harsh and is politically driven. There just isnt a chance in hell they can meet the EU targets for budge surplus, privatisation etc. It just isnt going to happen. So what more austerity for Greece?

    How is Greece supposed to invest or modernise it's economy? Any money it can borrow will go to paying back the EU. It's own banks are unwilling to lend. What happens if there is a recession.

    It needs a significant part of the debt to be written off, otherwise it will struggle for decades under huge austerity levels. The EU could help with this straightaway. But it won't.

    But yeah in your mind that's fine, their own mess. Your an idiot and I'm done with you.
    You are aware aren't you that Greece doesn't have to pay any interest or the loans back before 2033 ?

    no probably not

    You are aware that the private sector gave Greece substantial debt relief ?

    no of course not.

    How can a loan that doesn't need to be paid back or even interest hinder a recovery.

    You really are badly informed.
    I'm alright Jack

  7. #67

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    13,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    Will you be deleting your profile?
    No he won't he's just angry. He'll feel the need to reply to the latest post because as usual he got it wrong again.

    My advice is to stop digging.

    I'm alright Jack

  8. #68

    Super poster

    woohoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the country
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    Will you be deleting your profile?
    Why would I delete my profile?

    Like a normal person I will just stop discussing this issue with bb, it’s clear he can’t grasp any kind of concept that may be different from his world view.

  9. #69

    Super poster

    woohoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the country
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whorty View Post
    The EU is NOT Germany and France (here's a clue, there are currently 28 members of the EU, soon to be 27)

    French and German banks are NOT France and Germany

    That's like saying HSBC is Hong Kong, or Tipton and Coseley Building Society is the UK

    You leavers really do like to mix up facts to try and create your little fantasy narrative
    Read about it.

  10. #70

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    16,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Read about it.
    Done that....
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •