• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of Trident vs Brexit Divorce Bill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    And there was I think you just came here for the cash.
    For stable making cash without being ripped off by govt all the time as in Poland.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ar-disarmament

So it's £205 Billion to replace Trident
      £100 Billion wanted for divorce settlements in Europe

I suggest we use up 100 Billion quids worth of Nukes by taking out France, Germany & Brussels & Spain just to be certain, lest this way we don't owe anything and we don't need to replace half of it.

I'd like to think of it as the equivalent in paying in 1pence pieces.
      I'm glad I never asked for that fiver you owe me...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        The agreement to purchase Trident includes an agreement that the UK cannot use the weapon without permission from the USA.
        Except that it doesn't.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Except that it doesn't.

HTH

The absorption of the UK into the US nuclear force was made explicit only this year[2010]. Stephen Johnson, the American admiral in charge of the US Trident programme, gave his annual progress report to Congress. Among his top accomplishments for "sustainment of our [ie the US] sea-based deterrent" was sending HMS Victorious to sea after a refit. He does not list the British Trident submarine separately. No, the British Trident submarine is simply listed with the American ones under the heading "Today's Force".

This document came to me from the Berlin researcher Otfried Nassauer. It did not come from Oxford, Cambridge or King's College. It is left to peace researchers such as John Ainslie to trawl US documents to prove the American widgets and software in "British" Trident, and Di McDonald and Peter Burt to monitor the bomb factory at Aldermaston, near Reading.
          Dan Plesch: Let's clear away the Trident delusion | The Independent
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Except that it doesn't.

HTH

You are quite right. However, it is not 100% clear that the UK does have full operational control of the missiles.

Comment

Sorry, this disagrees with the above:
              https://www.publications.parliament....86/986we13.htm
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Just to be clear, even though this is on the Parliament website, it is not a report from Parliament itself. It is a statement prepared by Greenpeace and submitted to Parliament, and based on Greenpeace's speculations/interpretations of the UK's independence, rather than actual verifiable proven facts.

In other words, yes, it disagrees with the above, but it's just someone's opinion, and hardly an unbiased one on this topic. In other words, it has about as much credibility as an Internet forum posting.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Just to be clear, even though this is on the Parliament website, it is not a report from Parliament itself. It is a statement prepared by Greenpeace and submitted to Parliament, and based on Greenpeace's speculations/interpretations of the UK's independence, rather than actual verifiable proven facts.

In other words, yes, it disagrees with the above, but it's just someone's opinion, and hardly an unbiased one on this topic. In other words, it has about as much credibility as an Internet forum posting.
                  Like this one
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Not really.

"In practice, though, it is difficult to conceive of any situation in which a Prime Minister would fire Trident without prior US approval. "

Just because something might be "difficult to conceive" does not mean it should be ruled out.
                    Brexit and Trump as President ought to have dispelled that idea.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Like this one
                      Exactly. I have an opinion, Greenpeace has an opinion, so do you. In this case my claim that Greenpeace is biased, for instance, will be evaluated not based on any authority anyone thinks I have but on whether it matches what they know.

Same for the claims in that Greenpeace report. It's an opinion that they sent to Parliament. It is in no way authoritative (so it can't really be cited as evidence of anything, except evidence of what Greenpeace thinks, for those who care what they think).

Comment

Working...
                      X