• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of Trident vs Brexit Divorce Bill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Not really.

"In practice, though, it is difficult to conceive of any situation in which a Prime Minister would fire Trident without prior US approval. "

Just because something might be "difficult to conceive" does not mean it should be ruled out.
    Brexit and Trump as President ought to have dispelled that idea.

HTH

But we don't know if the US has mechanisms in place to prevent independent use. If the UK launched a nuclear missile attack on the 10 largest US cities, does the US have the ability to exploit the easing arrangement of the missiles to prevent them from reaching their targets?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      If the UK launched a nuclear missile attack on the 10 largest US cities, does the US have the ability to exploit the easing arrangement of the missiles to prevent them from reaching their targets?
      If I told you the answer to that then I'd have to kill you.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        The agreement to purchase Trident includes an agreement that the UK cannot use the weapon without permission from the USA. I have no doubt that this includes having to get a firing code from the USA prior to use. Probably via email, “click on this link to fire”
        Everything I've read on that subject says that operational use of Trident is down to the UK.

The long-term supply chain is dependent on Lockheed Martin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triden...nd_and_control

The final decision on firing the missiles is the responsibility of the prime minister of the United Kingdom. Upon taking office, the prime minister writes four identical letters of last resort, each of which is locked in a safe on board the Vanguard submarines. If contact with the UK is lost, the commanding officer of a submarine has to follow the instructions in the letter if they believe that the United Kingdom has suffered an overwhelming attack. Options include retaliating with nuclear weapons, not retaliating, and putting the submarine under the command of an ally.[20] The exact content of the letters is never disclosed, and they are destroyed without being read upon the election of a new prime minister.

Under the terms of a missile lease arrangement, the United States does not have any veto on the use of British nuclear weapons, which the UK may launch independently.[21]

Having said that .... you'd like to think that the PM would consult with a few people before launching nuclear armageddon.

Comment

Tell her!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            But we don't know if the US has mechanisms in place to prevent independent use. If the UK launched a nuclear missile attack on the 10 largest US cities, does the US have the ability to exploit the easing arrangement of the missiles to prevent them from reaching their targets?
            I think they have, it's a kind of anti-ballistic missiles.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
              Everything I've read on that subject says that operational use of Trident is down to the UK.
              WHS

Not least of which - the UK nukes can be launched without any communication being issued to the sub.

Vanguard class subs have handwritten letters from the PM locked in their safe - known as "letters of last resort" to be opened if the UK is wiped out.

USA subs need explicit codes to launch - those codes are transmitted to the sub. Main reason for the difference - is the US has a much larger and wider command and control network. It's much easier to wipe out the UK network in a first strike.

Back to the original point - the USA will retain medium term control over our deterrent - as we need the USA to keep them operational. But once the subs are put out on patrol....

Comment

Youve become beyond sad
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Youve become beyond sad
                  You mean almost halfway to attaining YOUR status?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                  X