• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The six Brexit traps that will defeat Theresa May

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The six Brexit traps that will defeat Theresa May

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    I think it was a referendum, which they voted to reject, so the EU tightened the screws and the Greece capitulated.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gree...ferendum,_2015
    At least they had a vote, which is more than we had when Blair led us into Iraq.

All governments do what they want. Only the most crafty do it with the pretence that the people are having their say.

Comment

Ah shucks - I liked that quote.
      I like this one - Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

I suspect you will now be looking for the source of your quotes on posters -
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        I like this one - Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
        I prefer the rather more despairing poem by S. Turner.

History repeats itself
        Has to
        No-one listens

Ah shucks - I liked that quote.
        That's because it confirms your existing views.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I suspect you will now be looking for the source of your quotes on posters -
          I thought it was "those who don't understand history are condemned to repeat it". Like the nationalists who call the EU 'the fourth Reich'.

I like this one :

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. ~ Albert Einstein. Traditional ... Albert Einstein, in a letter to Alfred Kneser (7 June 1918); Doc.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I thought it was "those who don't understand history are condemned to repeat it". Like the nationalists who call the EU 'the fourth Reich'.
            There are lots of variations but it is out of some book called "Life of Reason" by George Santayana. If you google you get the exact translated phrase from the book

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I like this one :

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. ~ Albert Einstein. Traditional ... Albert Einstein, in a letter to Alfred Kneser (7 June 1918); Doc.
            Nice.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

When I saw the rag and the author (left and lefter), my expectations were low - but I thought it was an excellent article.

Varoufakis's biggest problem was that they said - "we want to stay in the EU at any cost". They were bluffing - and the EU knew it, so they increased the cost even further.

So when Corbyn, Farron and Sturgeon say "we want to stay in the single market at any cost" - they are total utter f-wits of negotiators.

Our problem is the EU think May is bluffing when we says "No deal is better than a bad deal" - and might just call her bluff.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Source?

(There is no evidence he ever said that. As Abraham Lincoln famously said "Don't believe everything you read on the internet")
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  Our problem is the EU think May is bluffing when we says "No deal is better than a bad deal" - and might just call her bluff.
                  If the EU think we need to pay 25 years worth of net contributions, but not have 25 years worth of the benefits of the various EU institutions, then that is the very definition of no deal being better than a bad deal.
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    In short the UK will get its ass kicked.

But the UK holds all the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      But the UK holds all the cards.
                      Yeah, a pair of twos

Comment

Working...
                      X