• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Brexit trap that's closing on Britons who live in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    I don't get it, if Brit is living in EU an for a few years, then they can apply for residency and passport of that EU country, then get EU rights and UK rights... what's the issue?
    minimum 5 years for most countries before they can apply for PR and several countries do not allow for dual nationality, but once you have PR you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      minimum 5 years for most countries before they can apply for PR and several countries do not allow for dual nationality, but once you have PR you should be fine.
      Are you muddling citizenship with residency?

Comment

I don't get it, if Brit is living in EU an for a few years, then they can apply for residency and passport of that EU country, then get EU rights and UK rights... what's the issue?
        For me it's language. Also in Germany you'll not be allowed to stay unless you can demonstrate income upon retirement.

In short a EU passport is needed. Having residency for one country is not an answer. I work in several EU countries.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Citizenship will give them EU rights, but residency will only apply to the country itself. Citizenship is the way to go.
          Permanent residency applies to all EU countries inside Schengen. So if you gain permanent residency in Spain then you also automatically have permanent residency rights in France.

Therefore citizenship shouldn't be necessary.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I don't think 5 years is that long??
            In the UK non EU immigrants have to wait 10 years (but varies according to circumstances and on which visa they entered the country).
            If they are retired and already living in Germany they could probably get their citizenship before Brexist is even completed ... the way its going its going to take years.

If you need to work in several EU countries, they you can be resident of one, and just travel for work to another during the week days, or negotiate every other week travel to satisfy the residency rules... or take local roles until you get the residency / citizenship and whatever you need

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Are you muddling citizenship with residency?
              I think they are. I have permanent residency in CH - but I'm not a citizen, don't get a Swiss passport, I don't get to vote, and won't have Swiss rights in the EU. However, PR means that at I can stay here, and have most rights within Switzerland that the Swiss do. But I'll be applying for Swiss citizenship in a couple of years. Just need to get a B1 German certificate and begin the process. My daughters just got notification of approval at community and cantonal level for their citizenship. Half my family could be Swiss by the end of the year.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Permanent residency applies to all EU countries inside Schengen. So if you gain permanent residency in Spain then you also automatically have permanent residency rights in France.

Therefore citizenship shouldn't be necessary.
                Are you sure?

Comment

You will only get EU rights with an EU passport. Even getting a residency permit in another EU country citizen is not straight forward. I have first-hand experience of that. That aside my passport application is pending.

The regulations for residency post Brexit will be more stringent, those relying solely on a UK pension as proof of income will fail to meet the criteria. I expect that some of the retirees in Spain will be told to leave.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

How would it work for Ireland? They sort of agreed no hard borders, does it mean I can relocate to Ireland for a few years, get residency / citizinship then Bob's yer uncle... problem solved?

Comment

How would it work for Ireland? They sort of agreed no hard borders, does it mean I can relocate to Ireland for a few years, get residency / citizinship then Bob's yer uncle... problem solved?
                      Yes. 5 years' residency. In the meantime as a British citizen in Ireland you have almost all the rights of an Irish citizen, except voting in constitutional referenda.

Comment

Working...
                      X