• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit - Do you think we can just ask everyone nicely to forget about it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    No, it's stunned.
    It's like a warrior on the battle field who has just been stabbed, still standing, looks fine from a distance, still yelling but about to fall over.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      Those opinion polls do not ask the right question. Polls need to ask "If there was another referendum on whether Britain should remain in the European Union tomorrow, how would you vote?"
      No, but they're the best there is right now.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk

It seems pretty evenly split.

Post–referendum polling

Would be interesting to see some post GE polling."
        Would also be interesting to find who out is obsessively commissioning all those weekly YouGov polls.

I clicked two or three at random, and the title says "YouGov / The Times". If it is the Times newspaper, known to be fanatically pro-Remain, they are probably desperately hoping the numbers will change, so they can start trumpeting a change of heart and the consequent need for a new referendum.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          I wonder why the Brexiteers are so fiercely opposed to a second referendum? May it because they realise that the original vote was "won" only because of blatant lies and misinformation in the Leave campaign and people using it as a protest vote not realising the consequence. And that after an year of discussions on the topic they don't stand a chance of winning again?

If the Government was free to call GE just for kicks, where is the problem in calling a new referendum?
          Can you imagine the grief Brexiteers would get from the remain camp if the result had been the other way round (i.e. stay in the EU) and we kept whining on about a second referendum.

Voters are (allegedly) all adults and as such should be able to make their minds up, vote and then live with the majority decision.. Or would you rather have second (or a third or a fourth.. rinse and repeat) referendum every time the vote didn't go your way?

Pathetic.

MTFU.
          Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
            Can you imagine the grief Brexiteers would get from the remain camp if the result had been the other way round (i.e. stay in the EU) and we kept whining on about a second referendum.

Voters are (allegedly) all adults and as such should be able to make their minds up, vote and then live with the majority decision.. Or would you rather have second (or a third or a fourth.. rinse and repeat) referendum every time the vote didn't go your way?

Pathetic.

MTFU.
            Brexiters have been moaning since the 70s about Europe.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Nobody except for the 51.9% majority.... it's called democracy.. get over it.
              So what? Democracy entails observing a process. Advisory referendum doesn't generally lead to some enacting of the resultant vote.

You do realise that regardless of the result it was purely to inform parliament? No actions were promised as a result of the result to MPs.

I suspect you realise that if this was now binding and a result mentioned the vote would be different. Similarly, the result before could have been different, if actions for each were promised.

In fact I don't actually believe it would be possible to propose ANY binding referendum without a manifesto-style document for each possibility.

Right now our county has zero idea what it's doing, and that's including the MPs. That doesn't worry you in the slightest?

I would be saying this on a 'remain' result and I would similarly call it a whitewash.

Edit: if you're so sure of your own reasoning regarding this referendum process, does it bother you in the slightest that the referendum was advisory? If not, that seems rather weird. What's the difference between an advisory and binding referendum then?

Exactly.
              Last edited by contractorinatractor; 12 June 2017, 17:49.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                In the first referendum the young didn't vote, they're now motivated.
                Yeah, motivated by a raft of uncosted freebies promised to them by a scruffy Marxist.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  Afternoon All,

well, as recent events have shown the country doesn't want Brexit, and now the Government and everybody are starting to water down Brexit to the point where there is no Brexit, do you think if we just ask Brussels nicely to forget about it, and we stop talking about it, it will go away.

I mean, the Elephant in the room was always that nobody wanted Brexit.

Milan.
                  There is no watering down of Brexit. 52% of voters wanted it, so it's happening. Even Labour want it to happen, so it doesn't matter who wins.
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Yeah, motivated by a raft of uncosted freebies promised to them by a scruffy Marxist.
                    With Brexit as an icing on the cake.
                    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Pathetic.

MTFU.
                      Dark Black has spoken. Second referendum result can now be discarded and we revert to the result of the first one.

Phew.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X