• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

David Davis will tell the European Union: you can't

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Davis will tell the European Union: you can't

"...“pick the referee” for legal disputes after Brexit as a new round of talks begin.

Despite the hopes of some in his party, the Brexit Secretary is holding a firm line when it comes to ending the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice [ECJ]

In recent days the Government has come under sustained pressure from pro-EU Tory MPs and political opponents to ditch Theresa May’s red line on the ECJ.

She believes Britain should not be part of any EU-wide body that uses the court as an arbiter, such as ones that regulate the movement of nuclear material or pharmaceuticals across borders.

Mr Davis has made clear in private he supports the position, indicating that the court is instinctively favourable towards the EU.

“If Manchester United played Real Madrid, you would not let Real pick the referee,” he has said."

Source: David Davis warns Brussels: You can't pick referee for legal disputes after Brexit*

Following this "logic" it should be some foreign courts deciding on all UK cases that involve Govt, including taxes.

PM FAO Mr Davis - they fooking can because they got all the fooking cards.

Thanks for sharing this, im sure all the self loathers will be posting shortly.

Comment

He's right.

When the EU does a trade deal with Canada - or any other country, the ECJ doesn't referee disputes.

If the EU want their citizens rights governed by the ECJ while in Britain - will British citizens rights living in Europe be subject to British courts.

Of course it won't

It's bonkers.

We may well cave in, fold like a pack of cards, and give them whatever they want - that's been the modus operandi so far.

But it's still bonkers.

Comment

Brexit is bonkers.

Everything else is just blowback

Comment

The subject of Brexit came up today amongst others here in München an dem Beirgarten. 5 minutes later we were on another subject. The point is some of my German fraternity used to talk about it muchy but now it is just business as usual. I'm kind of surprised how quickly it has blown over. No one cares now. Only the UK is pretending like their centre stage with Brexit. Seriously reaction. Best going with hard Brexit and pressing the UK reset button.

I'm reminded of these projects for clients who asked me to develop a new process but it must be able to mirror our old results. I'm like well then it's not new is it? If your old results were mustard I'd not be here would I?

This is what the UK is doing in my eyes. Wasting tons of money time and energy expecting a different result.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            I'm reminded of these projects for clients who asked me to develop a new process but it must be able to mirror our old results. I'm like well then it's not new is it? If your old results were mustard I'd not be here would I?

This is what the UK is doing in my eyes. Wasting tons of money time and energy expecting a different result.
            Sometimes old processes are not scalable, unreliable, or difficult to maintain.

Typical thick remoaner.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Brexit is bonkers.

Everything else is just blowback

I can highly recommend this book, Adults In The Room: My Battle With Europe’s Deep Establishment, by Yanis Varoufakis.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adults-Room.../dp/184792445X

Maybe the scales might actually fall from the eyes of one or two remainers about what the EU actually is. After reading you might realise the few crumbs the EU elite allow to fall down to the peasants are really not worth the membership fee.

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
                I can highly recommend this book, Adults In The Room: My Battle With Europe’s Deep Establishment, by Yanis Varoufakis.

What next, read "the real truth" about EU on InfoWars site?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

What next, read "the real truth" about EU on InfoWars site?
                  There are none so blind as those who will not see. Yanis Varoufakis, you may remember him from the Greek debt crisis? Has recent experience negotiating with Angela Merkel and the EU. Your just some bloke on a chat forum, just a gentle reminder.

Comment

We do need to get out from under the ECJ.

It can and does simply dictate laws which we have to implement with no say (according to some guy on R4 on Friday)

And that simply needs to stop.

Comment

Working...
                    X