• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monarch the first big Brexit victim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    RyanAir next.

The end of Chavs travelling abroad is nearly over. Thank God.....
    Indeed it's an ill wind
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      And even though Easyjet and Ryanair (until recent events) continue to flourish. The reason is they have better business models than Monarch, and not just because of the Brexit fallout.
      Yeah EasyJet is loving Brexit
      As for Ryanair, you have a funny definition of "flourish", although I agree in this case the problem is its daft CEO.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        RyanAir next.

The end of Chavs travelling abroad is nearly over. Thank God.....
        Every cloud has a silver lining.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Are you Brexiters still denying that the vote has had consequences such as a weak pound, increasing inflation, a sharp fall in growth so that we are now bottom of the G7 (in a period of generally healthy world growth) and a fall In London house prices which usually presages a general recession.
          As propaganda minster in the Brexit team, I consider a weak pound to be good. So is inflation - the boomers have too much there own way. London house prices ditto. Growth was led by immigration rather than efficiency.

I look forward to hyper-inflation (f**k the boomers who seem to not care about the young). London house prices to drop by 99%. And nothing to be imported to the UK. We can make everything we need here.

Where is the rest of the Brexit team?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Went bust thanks to the falling pound
            Monarch flights cancelled as airline ceases trading - BBC News

And the pound fell asw e all know because of Brexit

Any Brexiteer contractors there now who will not be paid btw?
            Salaries would have been paid in pounds, fuel is the other major cost is usually traded dollars, so yes it could have had an impact if they didn't hedge oil, like most airlines do. Though the cost of Oil is completely through the floor as is Jet A1. So not likely.
            Last edited by Stevie Wonder Boy; 2 October 2017, 08:55.

Comment

Ryanair is not British
              Easyjet already moving part of their HQ into Europe

Comment

Although this is just the end of the 12 month extension they got last year at this time for the same reason.

Comment

To expand the market this summer Monarch had flights from Manchester to Stockholm.

I can't imagine the market research required to make that look like a viable route - and I've worked in Stockholm this year....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

No evidence to back this up but I wonder how many of the Ryan Air passengers would have chosen Monarch if Ryan Air had not been available - thus keeping the airline afloat (or up in the air depending on your choice.

E.g. Ryan Air stole some of Monarch's business and then did not fulfil their obligations.

Comment

Eeeeeh! Looks like me holiday to Spain on 24th is fecked.

PS It does seem a bit odd they let it fold during the Ryanair crisis, surely Monarch could have had a role there?
                      Last edited by xoggoth; 2 October 2017, 09:32.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X