• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has Brexit become some kind of religion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I'm at clientco in the middle of Bristol, but I suppose to a globe-trotting citizen of the world like you that must seem like the arse end of nowhere.
    I quite like Bristol. Parts of it anyway.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Nope. Most Remainers being intelligent pragmatics, are fully aware that no organisation, let alone the EU, is perfect.
      But we believe we're better off in (to the limited extent we were in and subject to caveats) than out, in all sorts of ways.
      That may be true for the remainers that you know, but some of the ones I know are fanatics. I worry abut their mental health: Brexit has become like some sort of jihad for them.

Comment

We could ask the same thing of economists. I visited two of the Mayan Temples in the summer and one of the guides gave a really good description of the ceremonies at Tulum he explained how the ruling classes told everyone how different they were and how clever and in tune with the gods. They conducted intense rituals that made them seem god like to the locals and pretended they knew when the best day was to plant corn by looking at smoke.... they did all sorts of things to hold their power but in the end were just clueless when the tides and winds turned against them...

How different is spouting _Theories_ about various dead economists and predicting what a graph will do tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          We could ask the same thing of economists. I visited two of the Mayan Temples in the summer and one of the guides gave a really good description of the ceremonies at Tulum he explained how the ruling classes told everyone how different they were and how clever and in tune with the gods. They conducted intense rituals that made them seem god like to the locals and pretended they knew when the best day was to plant corn by looking at smoke.... they did all sorts of things to hold their power but in the end were just clueless when the tides and winds turned against them...

How different is spouting _Theories_ about various dead economists and predicting what a graph will do tomorrow?
          There is a bit of a difference between science and meaningless rituals.
          Although I agree that economics is not a science (micro economics has had some success, macro economics less so).
          But when I say that a no deal Brexit will be a problem economically, I'm not using economic theory for that, just common sense.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

A no-deal Brexit won't be a 'problem' it'll just be different. I really do fail to see why so many seem to be wetting themselves over it. It doesn't help to predict disasters, or to place much trust in them. Judgement is often faulty on daily matters, let alone anything beyond next Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by glebe digital View Post
              I really do fail to see why so many seem to be wetting themselves over it.
              Which is more likely, you're super-brainy and have worked out the various scenarios or you're too dumb to understand the complications?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Which is more likely, you're super-brainy and have worked out the various scenarios or you're too dumb to understand the complications?
                Sensible enough to know that one cannot reduce Humanity to the super-brainy and the dumb. Do you polarize everything in your world?

Comment

Originally posted by glebe digital View Post
                  Sensible enough to know that one cannot reduce Humanity to the super-brainy and the dumb. Do you polarize everything in your world?
                  It's not binary, it's a continuum.
                  In your world, do you believe in prizes for all and that everyone's IQ, knowledge, experience and expertise is identical?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

It's not binary, it's a continuum.
                    In your world, do you believe in prizes for all and that everyone's IQ, knowledge, experience and expertise is identical?
                    But a continuum is a broad spectrum, which you have just reduced to a polarity, then contradicted yourself.

No prizes for you, that's for sure.

Comment

For remain ultras, I think it has become a spiritual state of embitterment, yes. It's a head explosion of indefinite duration.

Comment

Working...
                      X