• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just looking at Hard Brexit from the EU perspective...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "You can claim the relief for a maximum of five consecutive years starting with the year you are first entitled to the relief."

No thanks...
    Also, it sunsets (2020?) and they've been talking about scrapping it for ages IIRC.

Ireland is a high-tax economy for SMEs / entrepreneurs / contractors. Low tax if you're a card carrying, profit shifting, scumbag megacorp. Which is nice.

The expat tax scheme in Denmark is better (also time limited though).

Comment

"You can claim the relief for a maximum of five consecutive years starting with the year you are first entitled to the relief."

No thanks...
      But in five years you will have paid off DFS.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        But in five years you will have paid off DFS.
        I hope they deliver it before I pay it off

Comment

It's on its way. Have some patience....

Comment

It's due on Brexit day.

Comment

It's due on Brexit day.
              Morning or evening?

Ah, wait the right answer is it will NEVER arrive
              Last edited by AtW; 21 October 2017, 21:16.

Comment

In what way can you consider that a reduction in net contributions to the EU of 21% is in any way equivalent to a 20% reduction in GDP for the UK?...
                Good point, well made. I should, of course, have used 21% & 21%. Apologies for the typo.

As net contribution is the amount of money entering the EU coffers from an individual country, maybe I should have compared net contribution with taxation raised by HMRC.

So that would be just shy of 700 billion in 2015/16. Maybe people would notice if this fell by 150 billion?

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/4...sources-in-uk/

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
                  Good point, well made. I should, of course, have used 21% & 21%. Apologies for the typo.

As net contribution is the amount of money entering the EU coffers from an individual country, maybe I should have compared net contribution with taxation raised by HMRC.

So that would be just shy of 700 billion in 2015/16. Maybe people would notice if this fell by 150 billion?

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/4...sources-in-uk/
                  Wot? You're making the "lack of name calling" request very difficult...

The pointing out of your comparison wasn't that you used 20% instead of 21%, but that you were comparing a contribution to a fund to an entire GDP.

You appear to be conflating two separate questions:
                  1. Where will the reduction in the UKs contributions be made up from in the future;
                  2. Does the UK currently receive more in economic benefit back from our relationship of being within the EU than the £8bn-odd that we put in.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    Wot? You're making the "lack of name calling" request very difficult...

The pointing out of your comparison wasn't that you used 20% instead of 21%, but that you were comparing a contribution to a fund to an entire GDP.

You appear to be conflating two separate questions:
                    1. Where will the reduction in the UKs contributions be made up from in the future;
                    2. Does the UK currently receive more in economic benefit back from our relationship of being within the EU than the £8bn-odd that we put in.
                    Good summary. It was only the first of your two questions that I was asking, though.

My personal view (not part of the debate in this thread) is that, utimately, the EU will fail, and so your second point becomes moot. I was just contemplating how much of an immediate budget cut the EU would face in the event of a Hard Brexit.
                    Last edited by RetSet; 22 October 2017, 19:13.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
                      Good summary. It was only the first of your two questions that I was asking, though.

My personal view (not part of the debate in this thread) is that, utimately, the EU will fail, and so your second point becomes moot. I was just contemplating how much of an immediate budget cut the EU would face in the event of a Hard Brexit.
                      EU budget will increase

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X